Does anybody play a Start

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Does anybody play a Start

Post by dynamicalan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:17 am

. I'm interested if anyone plays a Strat and which one is recommended.

Thanks,

Alan
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

playagibson
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Does anybody play a Start

Post by playagibson » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Is this a trick question ? ;)
I would recommend a Fender.
One that feels good in your hands and doesn't hum.

Rich.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:12 pm

IMO, lots of strats work. I am with Rich. a fender is good. I have an american deluxe strat.

any guitar immeasurably better if you have it set up properly by a good tech. so much so that a fairly inexpensive guitar can be awesome.

in regards to your other post, I don't think it matters what guitar you buy if you put a synth pickup on it aftermarket. probably any guitar will track close to the same, and its mainly dependent on your playing technique to play clean and accurately.

but I think better than an aftermarket pickup is to get a guitar like a Godin or Brian Moore where that stuff is plumbed in. Just my opinion.

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks for coming through again. I love that post Rich. Do you prefer a Telecaster? I head sometimes there are intonation issues with some Strats. That's great info.

Andy that's great info. I'm going to use it for audio and midi. for midi I think the Fishman is the only way to go if all you need is the midi messages including controller messages.

I appreciate you giving me the exact model for the Strat. It will be easy to narrow it down. I'm real confused. The hard part is to know you've got a good builder to look at it but being a bolt on makes it a less difficult decision. I looking at least $500.00 unless it's a squire. The most important thing is the audio out can be used on recordings.

What's cool is the ability to get regions recorded with the guitar for other instruments but on another note I am curious about layering samples for a guitar if it's okay to mention that because it's a little off topic. I only mention it because it's important to know sampling limitations. All the information given in the other posts gives great information.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I made a decision about the Keyboard so I will post it there.

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by SteveJCurtis » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:10 am

Hi Alan.
I play a Fender Jeff Beck Signature Strat ( the Mk 1 with 4 Lace Sensors and a huge neck like a Redwood Tree! )
I love it, have played it almost exclusively for 12 years on stage and in studio and it does everything I need.
If you can find one secondhand, try it.
Regards / Steve

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:37 am

alan,

if you will be using a lot of electronic sounds, heavy signal processing, etc, i would focus not so much on the brand or model of guitar and more on the how good the neck feels in your hand.

if you will be mic-ing real amps or using plugins that give more of an authentic, organic sound with varying degrees of gain, you definitely want a strat in your arsenal, and a tele. they are quite different sounding from each other and both have incredibly cool tone, tone, tone...and a huge variety of sounds just out of the guitar. tele's are amazing. for example, standard american tele, neck pickup, less than half tone, through a bassman, sounds like a hollow body jazz guitar. (andy will hit me on this, ha!).

short answer, if it's down to one, get a strat with a neck that feels good. it will be the most versatile. i have a tokai strat (a japanese copy that was made so well, fender had to sue them). i loaded it with fender texas special pickups. had it since 1979.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:02 am

Yeah, I use a Fender Strat am.std as my main guitar. I just love the feel of the neck, and when I look for tones, somehow I can always dial in what I'm looking for with this. I also use a Gibson Les Paul Studio for heavyer rock riffs, some rhythm and more jazzy stuff. I don't use that quite as much as ny Strat, but it's a nice guitar and I have a Roland midi pickup on it, which I use with Spectrasonics Trillian for bass (mostly acoustic bass). So that way the Gibby gets more action, even though it's no. 2 8-) I think I'm going to pick up a Tele, either Fender Mex or G&L Tribute for those more piercing sounds on the bridge pickup, but I can also envision myself getting a Gretsch for that great Twang.. oh, it never ends does it.. but, it will have to be a hell of a guitar if it's to beat my Strat as my no. 1 weapon of choice.
Ceo of my own life

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 pm

rdance wrote:tele's are amazing. for example, standard american tele, neck pickup, less than half tone, through a bassman, sounds like a hollow body jazz guitar. (andy will hit me on this, ha!).
yep. to most including players that works. Mike Sterns M.O. for years, playing a tele with a PAF humbucker in the neck position with some tone rolled off. works great for his style cause he can stomp on the distortion pedal anytime and no feedback wail.

if you only are packing one axe and you need to play a couple jazz tunes, there you go.

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks everyone for posting this your great friends and very instructional but, got a reissued 57 that feels real nice and sound nice to that I like. It was a consignment item. I got it not long after I started This post. I was very confused but i was able to locate it by talking to the guys where I got my Warwick back in 90'. I'm going to get a Trippleplay which will ready help the setup.

These are great comments and I want to reread them tomorrow.

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AlpacaRoom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:57 am

Rock on, Alan! I've been a Gibson guy for years now, but I picked up my first "real" Strat over the summer. Went to the shop and played just about every single-coil Strat they had hanging up. Wound up going with a Roadhouse Deluxe. It's made-in-Mexico, but with the American-made Texas Special pickups, which I really liked the sound of: lots of midrange bark. The Mexican instruments all played really well, but the standard pickups sounded totally flat, to my ears.

I played some vintage reissues too, like the one you decided on, but my hands are too used to the fat, flat Gibson neck to deal with the vintage-style neck on the reissue Strats. I almost couldn't find the strings by feel!

I have been playing the heck out of the Strat, though, in the last couple of weeks. It really is a very different-feeling instrument, which absolutely makes me play differently than I would on the Gibson. Great guitars, Fenders. Don't know what took me so long!

-Nick