Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

registration line strategy

Post by rdance » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:08 am

question for rally veterans:

what is your strategy for the registration line?

last year was my first and i stood in line for about three hours. i saw people lining up at noon for the 5:30 pm opening time, but wasn't about to do that.

was thinking of hanging at the lobby bar and then walk up right before they close at 11pm or something.

do i sound grouchy?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: registration line strategy

Post by Casey H » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:20 am

Getting on line early only matters if you are concerned about the best choice of mentor for your 15 minute one on one session. Popular mentors book up quickly.

If that's not a concern of yours, you can register much later in the evening or even first thing Friday morning.

Some folks love waiting in line because they get to hang out and make new friends, contacts, future collaborators, etc.

HTH
:D Casey

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:20 am

you're right casey, and my last line-wait was actually very fruitful in terms of who i met.

i guess i was thinking more about my lower back this year. :lol:

bobporri
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bobporri » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Richard, good chance I'd be one of the people you'd see at the Lobby bar waiting for the line to be shorter. Not that I wouldn't enjoy meeting people in line, but I figure I can meet people in the Lobby too, and save the legs and back a bit.

Bob P.

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:25 pm

Dear Richard,

Perhaps bring a little portable Camping Stool ! ;) I am saying this seriously. I would myself ! :)

Camping Stool.jpg
Camping Stool
Camping Stool.jpg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:07 am

First RR for me. I'm not exactly sure why the registration takes so long but that's definitely food for thought - my flight doesn't get in until after 3:00 so I won't be at the hotel until 4. Good to know that the registration stays open that late in the evening.

Here's a stupid question. In the 15 minute mentor sections, what does one usually talk about? Do you play them one song and ask them to critique it? Do you play them a bunch of snippets? Anyone got a suggestion on a good plan of attack for these sit downs?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 am

johnlewitt wrote:First RR for me. I'm not exactly sure why the registration takes so long but that's definitely food for thought - my flight doesn't get in until after 3:00 so I won't be at the hotel until 4. Good to know that the registration stays open that late in the evening.

Here's a stupid question. In the 15 minute mentor sections, what does one usually talk about? Do you play them one song and ask them to critique it? Do you play them a bunch of snippets? Anyone got a suggestion on a good plan of attack for these sit downs?
Usually, you talk about the weather and who won the World Series. ;) :P

Seriously, typically you briefly discuss your goals, where you are right now in your career, and play a song or two or a bunch of snippets for them. You'll get some feedback and advice. The 15 minutes goes by VERY fast so think ahead some what you want to ask about. If you can (harder if you get on line later), try to get a mentor whose background best matches what you are interested in (e.g. film/TV, artist song pitches, etc).

It's YOUR time. So, if you wanted to focus on one song (for example), lyric writing, production, etc. that would be up to you.

Best,
:D Casey

suezq
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by suezq » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 am

There's NO way I can stand in a line that long -- MAYBE an hour -- maybe not. I have a bad knee (old knee surgery) and a bad foot (foot injury), so I guess I'm out of luck for getting to visit with a mentor. :(

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 am

although that is the "official" mentoring sessions, there are also "drive-by" sessions in the evenings, or at least there were other years. check the sched.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 am

The line... you can't really think of it as "standing in line". It's more like a pre-game tailgating party. It's really lots of fun. You find yourself meeting new people, listening to each others music, talking about where you're at in your journey, etc. Everybody holds places for everybody else so you can wander out for a bit as well as hang out so others can wander around.

I am still very good friends with the people that I met in line at my first Rally in 2004. Oh... and the line seems to start earlier and earlier each year. By the year 2020, the line for Thursday 5:30pm registration will start to form around mid afternoon... on Tuesday. :lol:

Of course the main reason for the "early line people" is to get the one-on-one mentor of your choice.