suggestions for making/labeling my CDs to bring to the Rally

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VTpeter

suggestions for making/labeling my CDs to bring to the Rally

Post by VTpeter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi all!

First time in the forum, pretty pumped. Also super pumped to be heading to my first Rally on Thursday!! As I prepare to fly, any suggestions from you veterans on how best to put together my CD of tracks? (Both content-wise and the actual labeling/packaging of the CD.)

Specifically: I've got a few different genres I write in - should I put them all on one CD? or on separate discs? What is a good number of tracks to have? Should I have separate CDs for country/singer songwriter/indie pop etc? I am attending with my co-writer, and we have some stuff that we've done together and some stuff individually. separate CDs?

Does the actual packaging matter? Or is a burned CD in a paper sleeve pretty standard?

Thanks for entertaining the newbie questions. I'm really pretty over the top excited. See you all soon!

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: suggestions for making/labeling my CDs to bring to the R

Post by rdance » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:11 pm

VT, you are in for a blast of energy, inspiration, and gold standard information. hope to bump into you there!

i would put different genres on different cd's, and bring multiple copies of each, especially if you are going to the mentor lunches or sign up for the one-on-one mentor sessions.

packaging is secondary, but the more professional it looks, the better.

this is only my second rally, but i am learning that the best way to break into the film/tv music game is to only promote your strongest material in one genre first. if potential clients like your stuff, they will ask for more.

but...if your are already putting out strong material in multiple genres, go for it!

brentmagstadt
Impressive
Impressive

Post by brentmagstadt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:21 pm

For this rally I'm doing 2 CD's. One is instrumental based, and shows mostly rock, but also has 2 tracks from outside the rock genre at the end of it. The second CD is all vocal, mostly indie rock kinda stuff. I'm doing 20 of the first (my focus) and 5 of the second. Plus I've propped about 8-10 other CD's that are essentially singles, for drop boxes, etc...

I'm pretty sure that's overkill. Last year I went with 12 CD's only, very specific. And I ran out on the last day. So... And I'm printing out labels for the discs as well as the thinline cases. I know there's about a thousand different takes on this approach. Now... there's one thousand and one.

We fly early AM tomorrow. Super amped to meet new people (like, both of you), see old friends, and re-energize moving into the new year.
See you (and your dots) there!
Yeow!
:)
-- Brent L Magstadt
Composer/Performer
www.brentmagstadt.com

~~ 7 ~~

johnhenrysheridan

Post by johnhenrysheridan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for someone asking the newbie question!
I was wondering the same thing!
Really looking forward to being there! My first rally!!!