Advanced Record Production session - Great Idea for 2014

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Advanced Record Production session - Great Idea for 2014

Post by stansongman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:32 am

For those of you who attended the Advanced Record Production session with Rob Chiarelli and Ron Harris yesterday, I think a great suggestion was made for next year. I thought it should be tracked here so we can make it happen. The suggestion was to solicit attendees' tracks in advance, and use them in the session, so Rob/Ron can actually workshop members' projects in real time. It would require a display monitor so the audience can watch what is going on-being adjusted/etc. with the project. Please chime in if you were there and would like this to happen next year. Also, if I didn't get this right, please correct me.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Advanced Record Production session - Great Idea for 2014

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Stan,

When I first proposed the panel to Rob, I wanted to run a listing and use a Rally attendee's song, but he didn't want to go that route for a few reasons, which were all related to eliminating variables that could make it go South. He needed to have easy access to the person whose song it was. So that eliminated people outside of LA. He didn't want to record the guitar vocal live because of ballroom acoustics and feedback issues, so he needed something that had those things done (and to a click), but nothing more. He needed the song to come from somebody who was able to show up for pre Rally meetings whenever he needed them to, so that eliminated people who didn't live relatively close to Rob.

He REALLY didn't want to do the demo on the main stage at ALL because of all the ways it could go wrong. So I had to accommodate his every wish to make it happen.

As for showing the ProTools screens (if I'm understanding that correctly); the idea was to show the production and arrangement building blocks, not the engineering side of things. We didn't have the time to do that on stage, it would have become something it wasn't intended to be, it probably would have been really dry, it probably would have been rudimentary for attendees who are expert in ProTools, and over the heads of those who aren't, and we had plenty of recording technique breakout classes to cover that stuff.

I hope I understood the question... if NOT, please forgive my post Rally brain function... or lack thereof! It's like REALLY bad jet lag.

best,
Michael

beesea
Impressive
Impressive

Post by beesea » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:40 pm

admin wrote: I hope I understood the question... if NOT, please forgive my post Rally brain function... or lack thereof! It's like REALLY bad jet lag.
l
Hello Stan & Michael!

Stan - thanks for posting the reminder, I was also at Rob & Ron's Friday session, and thought that was a great idea.

Michael - Just to clarify for Michael, I don't think it was at all meant as a "you should have done THIS instead" type of suggestion; more as a possible spin on it at a future rally.

Rob was cluing us in a bit on what the "Demo to Done" session was going to be about (Sunday's session was fantastic!), and everyone was getting excited about it, and ideas starting popping out. Rob actually suggested somebody post something on here so we would remember it. So (at least in the moment) he must have been at least somewhat receptive to the idea, right? :)

In any case - fantastic, wonderful time at the rally this year! Thanks you so much for working so hard to provide such a warm, friendly, inspiring, top-notch learning and networking experience for us. Now it's our turn to get to work - hopefully you get a bit of down-time this week!

cheers,
Bob Crow

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:23 pm

admin wrote:When I first proposed the panel to Rob, I wanted to run a listing and use a Rally attendee's song, but he didn't want to go that route for a few reasons
Hi Michael,

Great Rally! It was my first one and I will be back for more.

I attended Advanced Record Production session with Rob Chiarelli and Ron Harris on Friday. That's the class that Stan is talking about, but I think you are confusing it with the Demo to Done panel (which I found to be fantastic, by the way). Most of the members at the Advanced Record Production seemed to want a sort of mixing/production masterclass where Rob and Ron would mix and produce a prerecorded song live on an overhead screen so we can see what they are doing. Rob told us to request it for next year. I think it would great.

I hope I got this right and it clarifies Stan's post.

-Dan
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:38 am

Right, this wasn't the Demo to Done session (which was awesome, by the way!). Rob/Ron actually asked that we bring this suggestion back from the Advanced Record Production session. As part of that session, he used the original stems from some big hits, which he played, soloing and muting various tracks. That generated the suggestion from the audience that it would be cool if they could do the same thing with some attendees' projects, where they would actually go in and workshop the mix on the spot.

By the way, awesome Road Rally as usual, it's the best show in town!