Best,
:) Casey

sguiles
Impressive
Impressive

Re: what a great weekend!

Post by sguiles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Best. Rally. EVER.

I (think) this was my fourth. One or two of my earlier rallies were done on a one day, come as a guest basis.
I can say without a doubt that KNOWING people from the forum and Facebook pages and SEEING them in real life =AWESOMENESS!

Seriously, it was that good.

The years before I learned a LOT, but knowing someone and being able to just hang out and talk was invaluable on so many levels.

I've decided not to get bogged down in all the "shoulds" this year.
A friend told me to stop "shoulding" on yourself.

So, instead of worrying about all the plugins, contacts, and other things I SHOULD do, I'm just going to do the things I CAN and be super stoked I had such a great time and met so many great people.

You guys are the BEST. I can only think of one or two other places in my life were everyone is so generous with their time and knowledge.
Steven Wesley Guiles | FB | Taxi | Tweety | NewCoolNow |

"You can't wait for inspiration.
You have to go after it with a club."
— Jack London

brentmagstadt
Impressive
Impressive

Post by brentmagstadt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Casey!!
Yep, that was awesome! Really glad we had that little pre-Rally chill time. I know both Sher and I had an absolutely amazing time that night. Not to mention the following 3 days, wowsa!

Steven, I think you are so right; knowing a few faces/names, putting it together over time, having the chance to talk through things because you've already passed the intro piece... that really is big.
And yet another reason (among a thousand others) to go back, of course.

Because man... if we don't go back... we 'shoulda'.
:)
-- Brent L Magstadt
Composer/Performer
www.brentmagstadt.com

~~ 7 ~~

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks for all the kind words you guys. The effect the Rally has on people, their music, and their learning curve is mind blowing even to me! I never could have imagined what it has become. Truth be told, every year, I swear I'll never do another one. When I read posts like yours I reconsider.

Keep 'em coming. Guess what I did today on my first day off since Labor Day? Spent 7 hours at the office working on stuff I couldn't do during Rally ramp up. :x This thread just made it all worthwhile. Forum hats or neckties next year?

Thanks,
Michael

wen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:21 am

Michael,

I didn't think you'd be reading this but I want to tell you something. This little thread is NOTHING. It doesn't even bat an eye or even give half a NOD to the extraordinary feelings people actually have about the experience of the Rally and the networks that have formed as a result.

I was one of those who read about the rally and was like, "Sure, whatever," lol. You can't tell anyone anything!!!! lol, strange but so frustratingly true... I only went the first time as an impulsive, last-minute decision to use up an airline voucher that was going to expire. I was totally unprepared for the electric energy and overflowing comraderie I experienced at my first Rally and ever since. It really and truly has changed my life in ways I could never have imagined possible.

Michael, what you created here with Taxi is truly extraordinary. Lots of music organizations are overridden with a sense of competitiveness and jealousy that undermines true collaboration and artistic growth... The "one boat rising lifts all the others" mentality is so much more effective. I met you briefly at the first Rally but even before meeting you, just seeing you 'running around', I could place your energy and intentions as coming from a place of generosity of spirit and of love, not exploitation, as some people think Taxi is before they truly understand what it is. I believe that the entire tone, attitude, culture or whatever that Taxi has, came from your VISION of a truly collaborative and mutually supportive community. It's nothing short of brilliant, Michael... Please don't take this as empty flattery. I really mean it and I think anyone from the Forums would say the same thing.

I want to add just one thing about the Rally if I may. In my humble opinion, there's almost too much of it as far as the classes and workshops go! Quite often I needed to be in several places at once. Sure I can catch some stuff the following year but I do wish the sessions didn't overlap so much... I know its a huge headache to get the mentors etc. fit into OUR schedule so I understand what an achievement it is just to get the thing together in the first place. So, just my .2 ... maybe it would make it easier to pull the rally together if it was actually scaled back a tad (I'd hate to do that too, though..... EVERYTHING is just so damn GOOD.)

Thank you again for all that you do..... The experiences I've had a result of Taxi and the Rally are the best thing I've ever known as a musician.

p.s. Hannah is simply awesome, too. I couldn't get that song Suicide out of my head for days and she has such a great voice as well.
wendawilliamson.com