Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Rally reflections, 2013

Post by mazz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Hello friends,

I don't get around here as much as I used to. Since I've joined Taxi in 2003 and my first deal in 2006, my music career has been on a steady ramp up and I spend most of my time when I'm not at my day gig or at home with my wife, writing for several opportunities that have pretty much all come as a result of my association with Taxi.

This past year has been a year of upheaval and growth, mostly of the inner variety but much of it is taking place in the outside world as well. The Rally always seems to stir things up, sometimes in ways that aren't immediately apparent either at the Rally or even several weeks or months after.

This Rally was different in that, for one, I was a one to one mentor, doing two sessions on Friday. I was a bit apprehensive about this at first and yet when I was in the room meeting with fellow members, it felt right. I learned so much from listening to the folks talk and to their music, I'd like to think that I was able to help shed some light on their process and their path, at least from my experience. I was happy to do it and would do it again.

So many relationships have been forged as a result of Taxi and the Rally, and it's pretty astounding to me how these friendships are continuing to grow and evolve and get stronger. The bonds we share as fellow travelers on a road that is filled with so many obstacles and potholes is priceless and precious to me.

There was much deep learning for me this year and I am still feeling the effects of it. Some of the things I learned more deeply were things I'd known about for some time but this year the lightbulb seemed to get a bit brighter (or maybe I just added a few more LEDs to my collection, to use a more 21st century metaphor! LOL!).

I can't stress enough how important it is to continue to learn about the business and how it's practiced. As musicians we like to go to our "safe place" and create (OK I'll speak for myself here!), and yet, without some interaction with "the business" (which is really just people, BTW), there really is no "business" to transact. It can be a pretty scary thing at the beginning but so was playing your first piano recital or junior high dance, right? You didn't stop doing that, you just kept going until you figured it out. The business or the studio or anything new we need to learn is really no different. It's just a different set of chops.

I'm always amazed when I read posts from people that I know from the forum here and also on other social media, and they were there, probably 20 feet from me, but we just never connected personally at the Rally. A part of me knows that everything works out perfectly, but another part of me is disappointed that we simply didn't cross paths this time.

Here's a list, in no particular order, of observations and reflections from the rally, some two weeks or so on:

Do whatever it takes to learn what your music is and where it fits in the world

If you made it to the Rally, you did a huge thing for yourself and your path

The business is us

Keep my mouth shut and ears open (this is my goal every year, every year I fail miserably!! LOL! :mrgreen: )

It's a long term business, make friends first, the business will flow from trusted friends. A CD will end up in a pile or in the recycling, a great friend is forever.

Who I am is not what I do

There's only so much time in the day, who do I want to spend that time writing music for?

I can't party as hard as I used to. This is a good thing! :mrgreen:

Keep going no matter what. If you are supposed to be doing something else, you'd be doing it.

I could go on but I'll stop there.

Peace, love and blessings dear friends, old and new. Happy Holidays however you choose to celebrate or not.

See you next year.

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Rally reflections, 2013

Post by hummingbird » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks for sharing, John. Wise words!!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:11 am

Excellent summation Mazz! I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to spend more time together at the Rally -

Talk soon

cheers -
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:18 am

Well said, my friend. :D

Sometimes we learn the most by teaching others.

Warmest,
Casey

PS Mazz.... Even with your great post, Chuck Schlacter is still the mayor! ;) :P

bamtone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bamtone » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 am

Great post mazz :D :D

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:57 am

so great to hear the experience, knowledge, and wisdom of a composer who came up through the taxi ranks...makes it real for me, and is a great roadmap. attended your excellent five-year-plan class but didn't get to meet you...next year mazz!

wen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:22 pm

thanks mazz. i got a lot out of talking with you for sure.

i was just looking back through some old posts in here trying to find something, and i realize how much i have learned in the last year. we always know more than we think we know, because we get so familiar with what we know, it no longer feels like specialized knowledge!
wendawilliamson.com

PaulBergren
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PaulBergren » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 pm

As as newb, I really appreciate those words. Thanks Mazz.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 pm

It's a long term business, make friends first, the business will flow from trusted friends. A CD will end up in a pile or in the recycling, a great friend is forever.
hear here.

good to see you again Mazz.

bobporri
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bobporri » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Mazz,

I greatly appreciate your post and views. I didn't meet you at the Rally. There were so many great classes I wanted to attend and people to meet. I really didn't make any choices ahead of time this year because of it being my first Rally. Even picking a mentor I just asked the girl behind the desk to help me choose. I will definitely know more ahead of time next year and use hindsight to my advantage. I greatly enjoyed the time spent with those I did meet and had a chance to hang out with. I really do want to meet many more of those I see on the Forum. One of the best times I've ever had.

Bob Porri