Solo world instrumentals

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Solo world instrumentals

Post by daveydad » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Clarify for me what "traditional melodies" means on this one. Thanks.

NEW LISTING -- SOLO WORLD INSTRUMENTALS (from any region) are needed by the Vice President of A&R at an incredibly successful Production Music Library. He's pitching tracks for a number of travel related TV shows that will take the viewer on a journey around the world. There'll be stops in many different villages, cities, and countries, and he wants to absorb as much of the local sights, sounds, flavors, and culture as possible. Authentic sounding indigenous solo Instrumentals with TRADITIONAL MELODIES are needed to play back with picture. The music will help to tell the story by adding the right cultural mood, feel, and vibe to specific scenes. Whether it's a solo Peruvian pan flute, a Japanese Koto, or any culturally identifiable solo Instrumental, he wants to hear it! Think of a solo accordion playing at a French Cafe, or a solo sitar performance as the sun sets in India over the river Ganges. This request is for original SOLO Instrumentals only.

belindacoomes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Solo world instrumentals

Post by belindacoomes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:42 am

Hey Dave,

I'm hoping to be pitching for this one as well. It's a good listing and I'm excited to start writing for it! :D :D :D

To me they are using 'traditional' to mean authentic by using the correct scale or modes for that country, the 'traditional' instruments found in that country, use of pitch bending, quarter notes etc.

If you Google 'traditional Japanese music' (or any country for that matter) you will hear the kind of music they are after.

The main point I get from it is they want the music to straight away have the audience know which country the show is talking about by hearing the music rather than relying on the dialogue. If you were watching a travel show and they were talking about Bali, what music would you expect to hear? Now the show is talking about Italy, what instrument and style of song do you hear now?

A good idea is to listen to travel related TV shows to see how they use the music and how they use 'traditional' sounding music.

These are just my thoughts about this listing and hope it helps. And good luck, interested to hear what you come up with :)

Belinda