TV commercial instrumentals - any help on this return?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

TV commercial instrumentals - any help on this return?

Post by MattCurious » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi folks

Could use a bit of guidance on this one.

I'm on-board that the track is repetitive (a function of the time I had available to do it, sadly).

I'm not sure I understand the point about it being too busy - some of the forwards I heard seemed pretty busy to my ears (define "busy", I guess).

Also not sure what is meant by it being too "upfront" - isn't this a question of how the track is mixed into the ad's overall sound design?

Any tips?

Thanks
Matt

Listing: UPLIFTING, POSITIVE, TV COMMERCIAL-FRIENDLY INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Owner of a Music Publishing Company specializing in Film and TV placements. He wants Mid-to-Up Tempo Instrumentals with a pleasant and emotionally upbeat vibe he can pitch for current TV commercials. Give him light, simple but interesting, small ensemble Instrumentals with handclaps, whistling, "oohs" and "aahs," bells, etc., Avoid dark, moody, or melancholy sounding tracks. Make sure your Instrumental presentation isn't too complex or busy, because he doesn't want anything that'll compete with the dialogue or voiceovers in the commercials. All Instrumentals must be a minimum of 60 seconds long. This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure your material is NOT already signed to any other Libraries or Catalogs. The specific deal points will be negotiated on a song-by-song basis directly with the company. You must own or control 100% of the Master and Copyright. Broadcast quality is needed (great home recordings are fine). Please submit one to three Instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than Tuesday, December 24, 2013. TAXI #Y131224IN

Track: https://soundcloud.com/matt_curious/upl ... tv/s-zIhWS

Feedback: This track is a dynamic, guitar-driven piece, which is busier and more upfront than will be easy to place behind dialog and voiceover in a commercial. The listing is looking for music that is light, simple and pleasant. The music is rather repetitive; a more fully developed arrangement would benefit this track.
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Re: TV commercial instrumentals - any help on this return?

Post by AlpacaRoom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Hey Matt,

I'm not in the screener's head, but I think what they might be getting at is that the guitar / drums are really way up-front in the mix, and the attack of the guitar is really driving the track in a way that might be distracting. The kick, in particular, really sits apart from the rest of the mix (and the rhythm).

I had a track fowarded for this listing ("Nothing But Sunshine" on my Taxi page and my Soundcloud) that is just as busy, if not busier, though, so ... I don't know.

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Re: TV commercial instrumentals - any help on this return?

Post by MattCurious » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:50 am

Cheers for that. These kinds of listings seem to appear a lot, so I'll have another crack at it and come back to you!
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com