How much does one get paid for a Theme Song on a show?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

How much does one get paid for a Theme Song on a show?

Post by shellsings » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:10 am

I know it varies but

So for those of you who have had your songs used as Theme songs with vocals, what should one expect in terms of up front licensing fee for a brand new show on a cable network, that I had no idea existed (MavTv), that will air for 6 shows and hope to get picked up next year?

Thanks!

nutotech

Re: How much does one get paid for a Theme Song on a show?

Post by nutotech » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:20 am

Had a theme song on a "Live From Billy Bob's" show that ran in DFW for a couple months late Saturday nights. Maybe mid 80's? (Wasn't really live--but the bands were recorded live.)

As I recall, we were paid $750 up front. Had to pay a blues harp and guitar player out of that. :) Was hoping for some back end ASCAP $$ but it was a local cable station and show was cancelled soon after. Hate when that happens.

If your show continues to run past the 6 episodes, I'd contact your PRO and try to cajole a few bucks. Know that "themes" are on the higher pay scale with ASCAP. I'm sure BMI is similar. Also ask them when they plan to survey MavTV? You might just get lucky! Good luck, Shel!

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: How much does one get paid for a Theme Song on a show?

Post by Dwayne Russell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:54 pm

It depends on the ratings of the network and the deal they have with the PRO. Upfront could be $0 to $1000. royalty could be 50cents to $350 per play. Good luck!