GEneral question on "TV Commercial Friendly" listing...

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

GEneral question on "TV Commercial Friendly" listing...

Post by CHuckmott » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:30 pm

This one: CONTEMPORARY, TV COMMERCIAL-FRIENDLY, ALT ROCK to INDIE ROCK INSTRUMENTALS in the general stylistic ballpark of songs like "On Top Of The World" by Imagine Dragons, "Come Alive" by Tim Myers, "Best Day Of My Life" by American Authors, etc., are needed by a HUGE, world-class Film/TV Music Publisher with placements in tons of the biggest Films, TV shows, and Commercials out there. They need Mid-to-Up Tempo Instrumentals Tracks that are emotionally uplifting, inspirational, and have an obvious hopeful and light-hearted vibe. Your Instrumentals need to build and not remain too stagnant or linear. Be sure your submissions are current sounding, and aren't too heavy or overbearing. Do not copy or rip off the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, and tone. This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. You must own or control 100% of your master and composition rights. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). Instrumental presentation must be top-notch! Please submit one to three Instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than Monday, February 3, 2014. TAXI #Y140203AR

I'm assuming for this listen 60 secs is a good rule of thumb (assuming 60 secs tv spot with possible edit for a 30), or in general is longer OK? Or more to the point is keeping it to max 60 secs preferable?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: GEneral question on "TV Commercial Friendly" listing...

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:36 am

CHuckmott wrote:This one: CONTEMPORARY, TV COMMERCIAL-FRIENDLY, ALT ROCK to INDIE ROCK INSTRUMENTALS in the general stylistic ballpark of songs like "On Top Of The World" by Imagine Dragons, "Come Alive" by Tim Myers, "Best Day Of My Life" by American Authors, etc., are needed by a HUGE, world-class Film/TV Music Publisher with placements in tons of the biggest Films, TV shows, and Commercials out there. They need Mid-to-Up Tempo Instrumentals Tracks that are emotionally uplifting, inspirational, and have an obvious hopeful and light-hearted vibe. Your Instrumentals need to build and not remain too stagnant or linear. Be sure your submissions are current sounding, and aren't too heavy or overbearing. Do not copy or rip off the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, and tone. This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. You must own or control 100% of your master and composition rights. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). Instrumental presentation must be top-notch! Please submit one to three Instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than Monday, February 3, 2014. TAXI #Y140203AR

I'm assuming for this listen 60 secs is a good rule of thumb (assuming 60 secs tv spot with possible edit for a 30), or in general is longer OK? Or more to the point is keeping it to max 60 secs preferable?
I would submit something more "full" length, not only 60 seconds. This is for a publisher that does more than just commercials. So I would probably go for around 2 minutes worth, allowing for build and development in the piece as mentioned in the listing text and giving editors more to choose from. Although you want there to be build, it's best to give them some meat from very early on so they don't lose interest before getting to the good stuff.

:D Casey

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:45 am

I'll do that then. Worse case scenario it gets returned I'll have a full length version. Quick idea I have now runs almost exactly 60 secs but it is a quick record of guitar and melody, and has an easy 30 second edit. Start with this and build from there. Thanks Casey.

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:20 pm

I figured out what i did wrong on this listing. It's a verse 16 bars with two choruses 16 bars at 132. I think the correct way to approach this would be to come up with a happy melody first then harmonize it rather than use a songwriter drummer then play a bass line with some simple changes to it. I did three of them but only posted the last one. Each time it came out some sort of jazz blues. It's way off target probably due to my approach.
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:37 am

I keep the ala handy either via youtube or (more lately) spottily).Keeps me on track to give it repeated listens. I may not always get there but gets me close. Again Andy GAbrys had given me tips (as I have seen on Berklee clips and vids) to sit down with an ala and really break it down on instrumentation, mix notes and arrangement bar by bar , teaches you a lot about arranging I think.

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:19 pm

CHuckmott wrote:I keep the ala handy either via youtube or (more lately) spottily).Keeps me on track to give it repeated listens. I may not always get there but gets me close. Again Andy GAbrys had given me tips (as I have seen on Berklee clips and vids) to sit down with an ala and really break it down on instrumentation, mix notes and arrangement bar by bar , teaches you a lot about arranging I think.
I don't find it to help. I intend to write what works for the listing but I always come up with something completely regardless keeping it in front. I know it's not right and for those listings due today I submit it anyway because I start writing it that day. I then go back and modify the song and for 3 days this time. I don't want to do it any more but it's a lot better than it was 3 days ago. It's not good to ask; "if that's better what's worse" but it's okay to. I am totally honest with where I am musically but I wouldn't want anyone to spend time listening to it.

I point is that wouldn't it better to know what our song is then try to find a way to perfect what it is we do. The band has a sound and a lot of their songs didn't do this but in the process of doing all those other songs they hit this.

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:52 pm

It took awhile and I don't always get there but much better at getting in the ball park then used to be. My two are at the top of my sound cloud page.. It's good practice regardless. Peer to peer helps tremendously also.

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks! I think you have a great point and I will spend more time in Pear to Pear.