Probably the most unbelievable return yet!

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

UncleJesse

Probably the most unbelievable return yet!

Post by UncleJesse » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 pm

This was for a TAXI DISPATCH listing looking for 8 BIT video game music, here is the listing -

ELECTRONIC VIDEO GAME INSTRUMENTAL TRACKS are needed by a very prominent Music Supervisor working on a MAJOR HOLLYWOOD FEATURE FILM. He’s searching for Mid-To-Up-Tempo, energetic, and hypnotic Instrumental Tracks with some old school, retro, Classic Video Game sounds. Please check out the video link below as a general reference for tempo, tone, and vibe that the Music Supervisor is hot to find: Top 10 NES Music Themes or Soundtracks: http://bit.ly/1eZefuq He’s looking for Tracks with the classic 8 bit sound. Your Instrumental should sound like authentic video game music when played back in this scene. It’s totally okay if your submissions sounds quirky, retro, and dated. Recently recorded Instrumentals with a slightly more contemporary sound, but in the Classic Video Game spirit, could also work well for this pitch

The example they gave was a video featuring 'Top 10 NES Music themes'!

The track is 8 BIT Legacy and can be found here - https://soundcloud.com/jesse-marantz/8- ... -nes-style

The screener's only comment was "The piece has too much of a song feel for this classic 8 bit video game instrumental pitch."

That is insane to me?! Pretty much every memorable NES soundtrack for me had a huge song feel to it for example.. Mega Man 2, Double Dragon 2, Super Mario Bros 1,2,3, Battletoads etc...

edit ----
I'm not sure how I left this part out but on the original listing they did state 'Recently recorded Instrumentals with a slightly more contemporary sound, but in the Classic Video Game spirit, could also work well for this pitch'.
Last edited by UncleJesse on Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Probably the most unbelievable return yet!

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:20 am

Hey Jesse
I can see why the screener returned it though the words "too much of a song feel" may not have been the best phrase to describe it.

Listen carefully and objectively to the reference video and your track.... Do a bunch of A/B listens. Yours sounds more "produced" (more later years electronica but intentionally using cheesy sounds) and LESS dated. It's all in the A/B listens.

Also, the listing was for a very prominent Music Supervisor working on a MAJOR HOLLYWOOD FEATURE FILM... That's pretty high bar and you really have to nail it.

Best Regards,
:D Casey

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:18 pm

Casey makes a great point.

Since I find myself humming various Mario themes at least once a week I figured I didn't need to listen to the references. I listened to your track and thought you completely nailed it. So I listened to the referenced music and was shocked at how simple and harsh it was. I guess when I was 10 years old it seemed more elaborate.

I think your sounds and arrangement are right but just too full and rich. I guess I would say your track was more SNES or SEGA Genesis.

Great job though.

Michael

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Hey Jesse, I'm gonna have to side with Michael and Casey on this one. While your song is totally great, it just sounds too slick to be 8-bit. Just like Michael, I thought you nailed this one at first, until I also went over to the referenced video and had a listen to the classic video game tunes of my youth. Sure enough, they were all unbelievably simple, and your track - while being RIGHT THERE in terms of feel - is just too well-produced for the era.

Guess this is one time when your production skills probably killed your chances. Wow, who woulda thought THAT would ever happen?!?!

~~Matt

UncleJesse

Post by UncleJesse » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Hey thanks so much for the replies guys. It's made me get a grip on this a lot better. I completely agree with you Casey that "too much of a song feel" may not have been the best phrase to describe it.

After reviewing all your suggestions I do actually agree it might sound a little bit fuller than the NES music back in the day.

Also, not sure how I left this part out but on the original listing they did state 'Recently recorded Instrumentals with a slightly more contemporary sound, but in the Classic Video Game spirit, could also work well for this pitch'.

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

Jesse