Entering Metadata

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Entering Metadata

Post by Russell Landwehr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:20 am

kclements wrote: In my experience, as well as a number of people I have talked to, this way does not guarantee the tags with stick. It's best to drag the track out of iTunes to make a copy, then send that copy along.
Cool, Thanks, Kayle.
kclements wrote:
I used to use a spreadsheet, now I am using TuneSmith. Works really well for my needs.

cheers -
kc
And TuneSmith is free isn't it? I checked it out a while back, but I like being able to see a lot of info at one time, and to sort the info and still see a bunch of it on the screen at once. Still, TuneSmith seemed like a VERY comprehensive tool for keeping track of songs... But then I'm the kind of guy that took forever to get away from my personal financial spreadsheets and start using Quicken :roll:

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:32 am

No, tunesmith isn't free - but it's pretty reasonable - $30 I think.

You can view tracks in a spreadsheet like manor and do a lot of different sorting. Here is a sample image

You can also attach MP3s to the listing, so you can hear the track right then and there, without gong to iTunes.

It's pretty cool - and the dev is very responsive.

cheers -
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:02 am

This is from their site:
"Have complete access to your valuable song catalog at any time and run TuneSmith free of charge on as many computers as you like. Purchase licenses for the plug-in or stand-alone version of Rhyme Genie to unlock the award-winning rhyming dictionary and take your songwriting craft to new levels of intensity."

I understood that to mean TuneSmith was free, but RhymeGenie costs $$
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:12 am

Russell Landwehr wrote:This is from their site:
"Have complete access to your valuable song catalog at any time and run TuneSmith free of charge on as many computers as you like. Purchase licenses for the plug-in or stand-alone version of Rhyme Genie to unlock the award-winning rhyming dictionary and take your songwriting craft to new levels of intensity."

hmmm. Well, that's interesting. Then I guess there's no reason not to give it a try.

I paid for my copy, and I haven't used Rhyme Genie, but I am happy to support the developer, especially for $30.

Thanks for the qualification, Russell

cheers
kc
kayle clements

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:56 pm

Russell, Kayle, Andy, Cass & Casey,

Thanks for weighing in on this. I found that Kayle's method of dragging from iTunes to desktop (or anywhere) ensured that the tags were still there. When I drag first, the tags were gone after uploading to TAXI... so thanks, Kayle! And BTW, thanks for the James Clear blog - great book and articles and I am recommending him to lots of people. I will try Tunesmith next. I figure I can't go wrong following your advice at this point.

I'm also adopting Casey's method of putting info in the album field where it is visible on the player in iTunes - in fact, I'm taking it a step further and adding phone# there too.
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:32 am

DanLuedke wrote:...

I figure I can't go wrong following your advice at this point.
ha! - I'm not so sure about that. But glad I could be of some help.

cheers -
kc
kayle clements

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:38 am

DanLuedke wrote:I'm also adopting Casey's method of putting info in the album field where it is visible on the player in iTunes - in fact, I'm taking it a step further and adding phone# there too.
Also, feel free to put MY email address and phone number in your album fields. I'll cut you in for 20%, don't worry!

:P :P :lol: :lol:
Casey

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Casey H wrote:
DanLuedke wrote:I'm also adopting Casey's method of putting info in the album field where it is visible on the player in iTunes - in fact, I'm taking it a step further and adding phone# there too.
Also, feel free to put MY email address and phone number in your album fields. I'll cut you in for 20%, don't worry!

:P :P :lol: :lol:
Casey
Oh, Darn. Too late. However, I have some blank contact info for my creditors that I could put you down for.... :)

Thanks for you help, Casey!
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 am

kclements wrote:

hmmm. Well, that's interesting. Then I guess there's no reason not to give it a try.

I paid for my copy, and I haven't used Rhyme Genie, but I am happy to support the developer, especially for $30.

cheers
kc
I checked in on my copy of TuneSmith, and apparently it's a try-before-you-buy... and TuneSmith is "companion" to Rhyme Genie... which you have to buy. TuneSmith will now not run unless Rhyme Genie is purchased.

Russell

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:12 am

Russell Landwehr wrote:
kclements wrote:

cheers
kc
Good to know. Thanks, Russell!

I checked in on my copy of TuneSmith, and apparently it's a try-before-you-buy... and TuneSmith is "companion" to Rhyme Genie... which you have to buy. TuneSmith will now not run unless Rhyme Genie is purchased.

Russell
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon