Entering Metadata

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Entering Metadata

Post by DanLuedke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:10 pm

In the most recent episode of TAXI TV, Michael mentioned filling out metadata for your mp3s which includes PRO#, contact info, etc. and how he wants to wap members upside the head when they don't do this. I took this as a wap upside the head because I never enter metadata. It seemed simple enough so I tried it and have found it ridiculously time consuming and a total buzz kill.

Here are my questions:

-What data is most important to include and in what fields?

-What is the most efficient way to enter metadata for your tracks? Specific mp3 metadata software? Can iTunes remember your info for you so you don't have to fill it out every time? There must be an easier way then editing it in your playlist or "get info" section.

Thanks!
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Entering Metadata

Post by Russell Landwehr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Yeah, Dan, metadata tagging is certainly a PITA. I've only recently started using iTunes to edit the stuff... it seems like one of the best ways to go about it. However, I only handle .aif files in iTunes. I don't muck it up with mp3 and such. When I do the mp3 metadata, I just right click the file, choose properties and then type the info in there.

I also paid for this program http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm it is a bit clunky but it seems to be full featured.

The reason I started using iTunes is because my client prefers .aif files and iTunes (and Tag and Rename) do well at editing the metadata.

Now for the mp3 files I upload to Taxi, I make sure I fill out:

Title
Comments: (anything that would help describe the song in very few words... also may put "One-Stop Pre-Cleared" in there... I also put my email and phone number in this field)
Album Artist
Genre
Composers: (ie Russell Landwehr 50% (BMI); Other Composer 50% (PRO) )
Mood
Initial Key (sometimes)
Beats Per Minute

If you are in windows and doing this through the right-click properties, make sure you tab to the next field before clicking apply and then okay... I've run into trouble sometimes by not doing that.

Yes, I know tagging your stuff in the metadata is tedious... but it must be done. Like balancing your checkbook, paying bills, tracking your placements, doing your taxes, taking your wife out for valentines day....

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:01 pm

like Russell, for that publisher, the iTunes method works well.

when I bounce a mix out of Logic, it gives me the opportunity to make an MP3 straight off and I can enter metadata straight off. i usually am putting my name and contact info (phone # and email), writer affiliation (BMI in my case) and of course the name of the composition.

its cool to go the full 9 and enter all the stuff in there, genre etc. but since a lot of stuff is submitted via mp3, I am more concerned about people being able to contact the writer (me) than what style it is - if they want the track, they have obviously listened to it and it works for them, so style is sort of meaningless at that point.

but getting back to the first point - all publishers have slightly different ways of tracking metadata, some ask for a spreadsheet or data sheet with all the names, genres, writers % and PRO etc. Some ask for it embedded in the aif as Russell mentioned.

Some others don't have any of that in the Aif / Wavs but you have to fill out multiple fields in an online submission form.

but that's what I do, and what seems practical to me.

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks, Russell and Andy. Much appreciated. One of my day jobs is as a bookkeeper so I understand that all businesses have tedious duties to attend to, but I also know there are usually a lot of slow ways and few fast ones. I just realized that iTunes is going to auto fill a lot of the information so now I don't feel so bad. :)

Thanks for the tips!
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Sorry that we didn't talk about this sooner Dan :oops:
Because I do so many mixes, I wait till I have the one to be submitted and then use I-Tunes to add the info
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:04 am

iTunes works great to enter the metadata. To save some time, you can enter it on multiple tracks if you like. Here's one way to do it:

1) make a playlist of all the tracks you are going the tag
2) select them all - either with the select all command (cmd+a) or shift click
3) Open the info panel (cmd+i)
4) Enter the information.

iTunes is smart enough to know you don't want to change the names of multiple selections, so that is not an option. This works well to include your name, contact info, PRO info - what ever you want to include. Another way to help enter this stuff is to use Textexpander from Smile Software. It allows you to make abbreviations for common used phrases. So, for example, I have an shortcut for DFMC. That's the name of the library and "c" for composer. When ever I type that, I get Kayle Clements 100% (BMI) and I know that is the format that particular library likes. I have these for all the libraries I work with so I don't have to worry about what particular way each one wants me to be listed.

Like Andy, I usually limit my initial tagging to name, phone, email and PRO. And I like to be pretty specific - for instance, for composer I usually enter Kayle Clements 100% (BMI). This let's them know I'm he sole writer and my PRO in one look. If it's a co-write, I include the other name(s) in the same fashion. Logic X allows you to save a lot of this data in a preference files, so you don't have to enter it each time. A nice addition.

Once I am going to submit a final mix to a library, I add additional tags as required. Different libraries have different ways of doing things, so be sure to check it out with them.

Metatags work great in MP3's - the tagging is a built in attribute. Not true with AIFs. If you tag an AIF file in iTunes and then go to the iTunes music folder and grab the file and send it off, chances are the tags will not go with the file. To be sure tags go with the AIF file, you have to tag them in iTunes, then drag the track out of iTunes. I usually drag it to the desktop before uploading it to the client. This way, iTunes will attach the tag to the AIF file.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:30 am

kclements wrote: If you tag an AIF file in iTunes and then go to the iTunes music folder and grab the file and send it off, chances are the tags will not go with the file. To be sure tags go with the AIF file, you have to tag them in iTunes, then drag the track out of iTunes. I usually drag it to the desktop before uploading it to the client. This way, iTunes will attach the tag to the AIF file.

I did have a batch where the tags didn't go out with the aif files, but when I used Tag&Rename to look at those files, there was some sort of weird error with the file and no info was in them and Tag&Rename could not even edit the metadata. Now I use Tag&Rename to double check my files to make sure the metadata stuck. I thought it was because I was listening to the file as I was tagging it. I stopped doing that, and I haven't had anymore messages from the client that metadata hasn't come through. My process is to tag in iTunes. Find the files in explorer, copy them to another folder, then zip them for submission.

Also, as Kayle mentioned about iTunes, Tag&Rename can work in batches as well.

I can see by the comments above that I am probably doin' overkill on how much info I put in the mp3 for Taxi. I will probably keep doing it, though, 'cause I figure if they don't want the info they don't have to read it, but if they want the info, then they don't have to ask for it at that moment. Also, Forumites have mentioned that some clients have used the mp3 directly. (seems a bit sub-pro to do that, though)

I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of all my final tags and retitles. It makes it easier to get the info to clients that use a program or spreadsheet. I also use it as a way to keep track of the status of submissions. I'll post a link to a copy of the spreadsheet if interested.

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 am

Two slightly different but related issues...

For mp3s you upload to Taxi or send to libraries for first listen, at a minimum make sure your name and contact info is tagged in the mp3. With mp3's, my technique is to put my email address as the album name and lately I've also been putting my phone number in "comments". The reason I put my email address in the album name is many players display album name when playing the track (WMP for example). It's easy for me to verify that the info is there. The contact info is *critical* in case the listing party or library misfiles the track but then decides they are interested. You'd hate to lose a deal because they had no idea who to contact.

As far as further tagging such as .aif files with iTunes, library requirements vary widely and it's best to simply follow their guidelines. I work with one Taxi client library (one that may have been referred to in this thread) that gives very specific instructions on tagging .aif files with iTunes. So far, following their instructions has worked fine for me.

:) Casey

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:13 am

Russell Landwehr wrote: I did have a batch where the tags didn't go out with the aif files, but when I used Tag&Rename to look at those files, there was some sort of weird error with the file and no info was in them and Tag&Rename could not even edit the metadata. Now I use Tag&Rename to double check my files to make sure the metadata stuck. I thought it was because I was listening to the file as I was tagging it. I stopped doing that, and I haven't had anymore messages from the client that metadata hasn't come through. My process is to tag in iTunes. Find the files in explorer, copy them to another folder, then zip them for submission.
In my experience, as well as a number of people I have talked to, this way does not guarantee the tags with stick. It's best to drag the track out of iTunes to make a copy, then send that copy along.
Also, as Kayle mentioned about iTunes, Tag&Rename can work in batches as well.

I can see by the comments above that I am probably doin' overkill on how much info I put in the mp3 for Taxi. I will probably keep doing it, though, 'cause I figure if they don't want the info they don't have to read it, but if they want the info, then they don't have to ask for it at that moment. Also, Forumites have mentioned that some clients have used the mp3 directly. (seems a bit sub-pro to do that, though)

I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of all my final tags and retitles. It makes it easier to get the info to clients that use a program or spreadsheet. I also use it as a way to keep track of the status of submissions. I'll post a link to a copy of the spreadsheet if interested.

Russell
I don't know if there is such a thing as too much info when tagging - I think what ever works for you. I come from a design background where I was taught to keep everything clean and sparse - so I do that with my tags as well. tomato, tomaato.

I used to use a spreadsheet, now I am using TuneSmith. Works really well for my needs.

cheers -
kc
kayle clements

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:15 am

Casey H wrote:Two slightly different but related issues...

For mp3s you upload to Taxi or send to libraries for first listen, at a minimum make sure your name and contact info is tagged in the mp3. With mp3's, my technique is to put my email address as the album name and lately I've also been putting my phone number in "comments". The reason I put my email address in the album name is many players display album name when playing the track (WMP for example). It's easy for me to verify that the info is there. The contact info is *critical* in case the listing party or library misfiles the track but then decides they are interested. You'd hate to lose a deal because they had no idea who to contact.
Great idea on the email in the album name. I'm going to steal, err, adopt this practice as well.

As far as further tagging such as .aif files with iTunes, library requirements vary widely and it's best to simply follow their guidelines. I work with one Taxi client library (one that may have been referred to in this thread) that gives very specific instructions on tagging .aif files with iTunes. So far, following their instructions has worked fine for me.

:) Casey
yup.

cheers -
kc
kayle clements