AABA song structure in EDM style

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dscoyne

AABA song structure in EDM style

Post by dscoyne » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

I have a song (with lyrics) which has a Verse, Verse, Bridge, Verse structure (AABA, no chorus). I would like to have it done in Dance-Pop/EDM style. Can anyone cite any successful song examples which have this unusual combination of structure and style? Thanks.

dasvon

Re: AABA song structure in EDM style

Post by dasvon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:30 am

dscoyne wrote:I have a song (with lyrics) which has a Verse, Verse, Bridge, Verse structure (AABA, no chorus). I would like to have it done in Dance-Pop/EDM style. Can anyone cite any successful song examples which have this unusual combination of structure and style? Thanks.
One that quickly came to mind is Michael Jackson's "Black or White" which was fairly successful [61 mil hits on youtube too]. The hook is "But, If You're Thinkin' About My Baby It Don't Matter If You're Black Or White" after with the rhyme structure of AABB (hook being the last line "B" rhyme).

Repeated twice then a bridge... then a half verse with multiple tag lines at the end.

Total arrangement structure of: A A B half-A Tags

Jackson's style probably hints to finding more, but he did such hooky things (repeating just a hook line over and over again), that the structures are typically the Verse-Verse-Chorus/Hook-bridge-1/2verse - Hook-to-ad-nauseum variety. But you can vary this to make them into AABA songs with fair ease.

Not EDM of course, but it's not much of a stretch from one to the other.

Bliciouz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: AABA song structure in EDM style

Post by Bliciouz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:06 am

Hey,

I know that Saving All My Love For You by Whitney Houston uses ABAA which is a very succesfull song. :D

Bert