Performance-Free Music Libraries: What is the verdict?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Performance-Free Music Libraries: What is the verdict?

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:53 am

I am going to base my decision to participate solely on the success I have had with the company. There are many things to consider, but that is usually the criteria I use when working with a company that changes strategy. I should know in a few weeks.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:03 am

good luck DI. I hope it works out for you as you hope.

on my side, I'm out. no use participating with that crew in that way IMO.

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:02 pm

I know the library DI mentioned and this is a recent change for them otherwise a reputable library. Can see why DI would wait it out. Not in that one though and no longer going to pursue it.

ceedub
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ceedub » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Here are my questions:

Is the Performance Royalty Free model better for composers in any way? What's the upside to signing a PRF contract?

Is the Performance Royalty Free model better for libraries in any way? How is this model advantageous for the library?

I don't understand how PRF model increases income for composers. I suspect it would decrease income. Is this a correct assumption? If so, as a composer, why would I agree to this? Am I missing something?

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:38 pm

ceedub wrote:Here are my questions:

Is the Performance Royalty Free model better for composers in any way? What's the upside to signing a PRF contract?

Is the Performance Royalty Free model better for libraries in any way? How is this model advantageous for the library?

I don't understand how PRF model increases income for composers. I suspect it would decrease income. Is this a correct assumption? If so, as a composer, why would I agree to this? Am I missing something?

this is the PMA's stance on it. http://pmamusic.com/how-performance-fre ... -industry/

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Thu May 01, 2014 3:54 pm

I signed the deal with X**** *****X, but have only designated certain cues which I think will do well with this model.

X**** *****X have helped me to earn some money, but not enough to justify signing over all of the songs I have with them for the performance-free licesning model.

Most of the songs that I have left up for performance-free licensing are songs that have been spread across many non-exclusive sites and have not earned many PRO royalties for me.

In the end, the risk is minimal for me. Careful selection of the right cues and the ability to pump out more cues for other licensing models have had no negative impact for me. :-)

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Sat May 03, 2014 9:57 am

I'd be interested in hearing your results in tracking this.....let us know if you run into any troubles i.e. with the RF ones you are in. I wouldn't see where you trying to get an income stream coming in from tracks that are played out or not performing well elsewhere....don't know. Makes for an a good alternate"What do you do with track that have been sitting for 3 - 4 years and not doing much".

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Sat May 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Hello everyone,

This is a hot Topic !

All I know is that when Hector wrote five Songs for a beautiful Female Singer, in 2011, he was paid upfront a substantial fee.
Next, he would get also Royalties for when the Songs are performed during Concerts or heard on the Radio.
Last year, for instance, Hector received $ 416, from PRO, and that was nice !! :D
Because the beautiful Female Singer is quite enthusiastic and active in all that she does in her Music career.

The Royalties are a serious matter, like in the case of my Cousine Catherine LARA. What ever she composed and created since the early 1980's belong to her only and her Lyricists.
And she would care that this would never change indeed !
Her early Songs are still vastly heard nowadays as they are "Ageless" precisely.