with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Pro Tools file 'relinking'

Post by yammer107 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:16 am

Hi ya'll

Any other Pro Tools users have this annoying "file can not be found attempting to relink" crap?

Ive had a situation where the files are indeed missing/gone from the audio folder, but mostly they are right there; odd that Pro Tools can not 'find' them and even odder that it happens at all..... What am I doing to cause this?

Seems to happen most often after using Melodyne and importing the new file. I import it as 'new track' then drag it to its actual destination in another track. Is dragging the culpret? Its just far easier than trying to use the 'spot' function

FIVE (5) tracks missing this morning - very annoying waste of precious work time!

Thanks

Chris

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Pro Tools file 'relinking'

Post by eeoo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 am

I suspect the dragging might be the culprit. Why do you need to drag it elsewhere? Also, I don't use melodyne, but why do you need to import your audio after use it? You can't use it as an insert? Or process in audiosuite?

eo

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:52 pm

eo melodyne doesn't work in Audiosuite. unfortunately. it would speed some things up. or at least add more flexibility.

Yammer - are you using the standalone version of Melodyne? If so, when you process the file you are actually modifying the audio file. So ProTools looks for the audio file that was in the audio files folder. You have gone and modified that, and so the date stamp and other stuff is a little different than it was the last time Pro Tools accessed it.

solution (if I understand what happened):

either process in Protools with melodyne on an insert, and when you are ready to commit the changes bounce to another audio track in the same project recording internally (not bouncing out of the master output). You can then inactivate (not just bypass melodyne - inactivate) the track with melodyne on it and save CPU and protect your original work incase you want to go back and tweak something.

or copy the file you want to process to your desktop, do your standalone melodyne on that one, then start up protools and import the modified file.

dragging shouldn't be an issue unless your particular version of protools has a known bug.

my apologies if I don't understand or if you are already doing this.

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by yammer107 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks you guys

Gee I dont know .... very odd even 'relink' search cant find them when there right in the folder and playable (not corrupt)

I do use it as an insert, melodyne single track. I process in Pro Tools but need to import back in. Not sure what the deal is but ive never been able to use it in real time either (adjust pitch as my session is playing) to tweak harmonies... I prefer to hear the other parts as i do this for minimal pitch changes.

Andy yes I know it renames the files and preserves the orig. Sometimes I purposely save over the orig file hoping it will effect the file already in place - I hate all this swapping and importing. if you knew my work habits this is not a problem - I copy and paste parts just past the song 'end' in my sessions before processing anything....Just a quick handy safe guard... if I screw anything up I can just scroll to right and copy n paste the raw files back

Oh and another thing i suspect - sometimes I consolidate regions ..... why separately process and import 10 files when you can do 5 or less? Wonder if this fouls things up

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by yammer107 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:39 pm

Hey just a special thanks to Andy for all his offline help..... !

....and to anybody else that stopped by.

~ Chris