Edit points...A 'must read" now!!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Edit points...how do you go about 'em?

Post by Russell Landwehr » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:01 pm

OK, yes. I think I understand. So the client wanted cues with multiple edit lengths. So you would have the original cue of maybe 2:30 called "Happy Knees" then you would provide them with "Happy Knees :15" "Happy Knees :30" and "Happy Knees :60" ??
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:07 pm

eeoo wrote:No the same cue but i had to make 15, 30, 60 second edits that made musical sense, as well as a stinger. In other words i wasn't recording sepearte 15, 30 and 60 second cues, i was making those out of one longer cue, a master cue as it were. Make sense?

eo
Great info Ethan....thanks for taking the time to explain!
I do see the benefit still of trying to bake in the edit points, in that it would make life much easier if you get a request for edits.

Cheers'
Steve
Worse, how can it be worse...Jehova Jehova Jehova

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:35 pm

OK, yes. I think I understand. So the client wanted cues with multiple edit lengths. So you would have the original cue of maybe 2:30 called "Happy Knees" then you would provide them with "Happy Knees :15" "Happy Knees :30" and "Happy Knees :60" ??
Yes, exactly right Russell. Plus, "Happy Knees-Stinger", "Happy Knees - Bass and Drums", "Happy Knees-Ambient" etc etc etc. The more options you give an editor, sometimes, the better shot you have at getting a placement. That said, I work with other libraries that only want a full track and an instrumental track, or if your track is an instrumental the full version and one without the lead instrument. It varies widely from library to library.

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:22 pm

The :15 :30 :60 thing drove me nuts quick so I don't spend much time on it. Instead, like others mentioned, I've started using "drops" as potential edit points. These are huge in most genres anyway. Whether it's a high energy build up then a drop, or a more quiet ring out followed by all of the other instruments "falling in" together.

Michael

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:34 pm

I've rarely been asked to do 30, 60, etc. But when I do I borrow from other sections of the piece like drum fill lead ins, etc. that way I give them options they wouldn't have unless they had the daw session. Otherwise they can do the edits themselves from the full mixes, right?

The thing about writing in edit points is to make them feel musically natural. I have made it a part of my musical thinking when composing. Don't force them to happen, make the phrases make sense first. Sometimes a two beat stop is just right, sometimes 4 or even one extra beat will be enough.

Think about how the sections move from one to another without an obvious break. It can still work by breaking down to an isolated cymbal swell or drum or bass fill. The editors can cut there. If a transition goes over the downbeat it might be more difficult to edit there.

Remember we are writing music for a specific purpose, to be easily sync-able to picture. It takes a little shift in thinking of the form of the piece (mostly in instrumentals I think). Go to library websites and listen to the music. It will tell you much more about writing for production than listening to the radio will.

Good discussion!

Mazz

Ps: haven't been around much. My day gig has really ramped up and I'm busy writing when I'm not there. Good to see everyone here.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:13 pm

mazz wrote:I've rarely been asked to do 30, 60, etc. But when I do I borrow from other sections of the piece like drum fill lead ins, etc. that way I give them options they wouldn't have unless they had the daw session. Otherwise they can do the edits themselves from the full mixes, right?

The thing about writing in edit points is to make them feel musically natural. I have made it a part of my musical thinking when composing. Don't force them to happen, make the phrases make sense first. Sometimes a two beat stop is just right, sometimes 4 or even one extra beat will be enough.

Think about how the sections move from one to another without an obvious break. It can still work by breaking down to an isolated cymbal swell or drum or bass fill. The editors can cut there. If a transition goes over the downbeat it might be more difficult to edit there.

Remember we are writing music for a specific purpose, to be easily sync-able to picture. It takes a little shift in thinking of the form of the piece (mostly in instrumentals I think). Go to library websites and listen to the music. It will tell you much more about writing for production than listening to the radio will.

Good discussion!

Mazz

Ps: haven't been around much. My day gig has really ramped up and I'm busy writing when I'm not there. Good to see everyone here.
Hey Mazz, good to see you too :D
You have answered SO many of my questions over the years....just wanted say it's been appreciated. I imagine that goes for many of us!
Really good points from you to adhere to. It's eye opening to me in that the libraries leave it up to you to pick the most relevant places to edit, I thought
they would pretty much tell you where they want the most useful pieces to sync to?
I would guess it's "as the situation calls for" type of thing?
Sorry that your day gig is a load right now, but I would think that beats the alternative of no day gig (that is until you want it to be gone ;) )....which is easy to have happen these days!
Thanks again Mazz

Cheers'
Steve

manninghollow
Impressive
Impressive

Post by manninghollow » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Most of the successful guys I know are masterful in putting in the edit points. Sometimes I hear work that almost sounds like 3 songs in a song. I always get caught up in the art of a composition and forget them.

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Magne, Michael, Bob and Steve....Thanks to you guys too for chiming in! My Mama (God rest her soul) would smack my mouth (well, maybe no dinner :D ) for not showing manners.
Everyone's method is interesting and valid :mrgreen:

Cheers'
Steve

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Russell, you probably already know, tonight's taxi TV featured a ton of production music chock full of hits, transitions and edit points. Examples from the show are available for a probably limited time on SoundCloud. https://soundcloud.com/search?q=adonis_aletras
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:54 pm

mojobone wrote:Russell, you probably already know, tonight's taxi TV featured a ton of production music chock full of hits, transitions and edit points. Examples from the show are available for a probably limited time on SoundCloud. https://soundcloud.com/search?q=adonis_aletras
Russell's passed out.....151 kicked his butt today :D :D