Converting Midi to Audio - File Type for Audio?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GavinKMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Converting Midi to Audio - File Type for Audio?

Post by GavinKMusic » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi Guys, so I've decided to convert my midi files to audio so I can be sure to lock in the sound I want for each track. Midi seems great to write with but than maybe audio is better to work with after most of the writing is done?

So what would be the best type to convert to? wave? or is there something higher quality?

Many thanks for any feedback on this. 8-)
VST Based Project Studio running Cubase 7.5, Nexus2, Sylenth1, Stylus RMX and Trilian.
Taxi
Broadjam
Facebook
Soundcloud

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Converting Midi to Audio - File Type for Audio?

Post by andygabrys » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:11 pm

whatever you are running your session at, that would be the type to save as. that's kinda self-evident.

i.e. - Logic can use Aif or Wav. If you have the file type set to AIF in the preferences, might as well bounce in place to AIF.

likewise bit depth - if you are running at 16 bit depth (really no reason for that these days) then bounce to 16 bit.

if you are running at 24 bit depth, then bounce in place to 24 bit.

only caveat - some mix engines in DAW's like Protools since verison 10 allow you to run the session at 32 bit depth. This really relates more to headroom in the mixer, as there is about 1 audio / digital convertor out there right now that converts at any higher than 24 bit. So if you choose to save the files as 32 bit float, you have in most cases made the file about 1/3 or 1/2 larger for not much gain.

I am sure there is a healthy debate that can be had on that, but right now 24 bit gives plenty of dynamic range, and headroom.

good luck!

GavinKMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GavinKMusic » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks Andy. 8-) I noticed in Cubase Media Bay the loops seem to be mostly wave. I guess wave is a good standard? seems the quality is still good. I converted some midi tracks to audio wave and then exported as a stereo wave on this piece (uploaded as wave to SC): https://soundcloud.com/the-element-music/alien-seas
VST Based Project Studio running Cubase 7.5, Nexus2, Sylenth1, Stylus RMX and Trilian.
Taxi
Broadjam
Facebook
Soundcloud

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:41 pm

andygabrys wrote: only caveat - some mix engines in DAW's like Protools since verison 10 allow you to run the session at 32 bit depth. This really relates more to headroom in the mixer, as there is about 1 audio / digital convertor out there right now that converts at any higher than 24 bit. So if you choose to save the files as 32 bit float, you have in most cases made the file about 1/3 or 1/2 larger for not much gain.

I am sure there is a healthy debate that can be had on that, but right now 24 bit gives plenty of dynamic range, and headroom.
[loud Barney Stinson voice] CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Keeding, I only think it might be best not to conflate 32/64-bit operating systems with 24/16-bit audio formats. I may be talking outta school, here, cuz I don't do ProTools; I just know that Tracktion has had an internal 64-bit floating-point architecture since version 2 and ran perfectly well on 32-bit operating systems; the modern version runs on either 32 or 64. However, the audio in Tracktion 2 could be captured at up to 192kHz. (the more recent versions only go to 96kHz, rather tellingly)
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone