Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Question for Logic X users

Post by kclements » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:29 am

michael11 wrote:
kclements wrote:Ah, so sorry Michael - I wasn't necessarily confused, but I wasn't not-confused either :oops:
I shall go back and edit my post so as not too look completely silly.

So, Jon -

I have gone back and forth quite a bit about switching DAWs. When DP 8 came out a while back (before LPX) I downloaded the demo and gave it a spin. Same for Reaper and Studio One. But I realized while the grass may seem greener in other DAWs, I am still really happy with Logic. It does everything I want it to do, and I get the, um, er, logic of it all. But I would certainly jump to another DAW if I didn't like the way Logic works or dreaded working in it, even a little bit. Sure there are some things I would like to see changed - like arranging the mixer window channels. But overall, Logic and I get along very well.

I don't think Apple provides a demo of Logic - but they do have it in the stores. Good luck. I don't think there is any harm in downloading some of the other DAWs and see how they work. May either give you a reason to jump, or solidify your reasons to stick with Logic.

cheers -
kc
Hi Kayle,

What you won't know,well you do now, :D is I used your method of grouping tracks today and it worked perfectly!!!

So thank you,

Michael.
Ha - I did put that together - but obviously a bit too late. Glad the grouping thing is working out.

cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks gentlemen. I'm guessing that Logic X is essentially the same app with improvements. I'll give it a try, but am leaning towards making either Reaper or Studio One my main rig, and use Logic when I need it.

thanks

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Mon May 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Just an epilogue to this thread:

I tried several other DAWS and wasn't sold. I bought Logic Pro X and I love it. Love the new features and interface. Not perfect, and it's still crashy. But huge improvement if you ask me.

EDIT: been meaning to add this for a while - don't know if anyone will see it, but I think it's worth mentioning because it's a broken feature.

If you do a lot of heavy duty granular midi editing in Logic, you probably use the arrow keys to go from note to note in the piano roll. Well, that still works, but now, in X, once you click to a note on the next/previous page, the screen no longer advances/retreats. IOW, when you hit the arrow key to select a midi note beyond the page you are on, the page doesn't update. You do advance to select the next note, but you can't see it. This used to work in Logic 9 and before, and I can't imagine how they could have let this go. I checked with the Logic guru on Logic Pro Help and he confirmed that this is how it is. The default key command for advancing to the next screen is FN-arrow (left/right), which is the 'diagonal arrow'. The guru guy (very nice and helpful, btw) told me it was shift-tilde, so obviously there is some confusion going on! Anyway, this does work, but why break a basic feature power users have relied on for years? (along the same lines, 'flattening' tracks in a stack in X means exactly the opposite of what it means in every other app - e.g. Photoshop: it DISAGGREGATES tracks! )

I am still loving X, but this is bad, so..be aware.