International promo royalties

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

International promo royalties

Post by AlpacaRoom » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 am

Hi all,

I've noticed (thanks to Tunesat) that an instrumental I have signed to a non-exclusive library here in the US is appearing in a promo for a show on MTV in the UK that's been airing a couple times per hour. I know promo royalties in the US are hit-or-miss (more often miss, for cable), but does anybody know about the international market? I'm with BMI, if it makes a difference.

Really this is just a curiosity question, since I'm sure I'll have forgotten about this by the time the tiny international royalties come in (if they ever do).

Thanks!
-Nick

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: International promo royalties

Post by HectorRContreras » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Dear Alpaca,

If a Library bought a Music Composition from you in America, and next, it is used in England, you should receive Royalties for it, yes, and not tiny Royalties for that matter.
And perhaps you should be informed that this is the case, that it reached England, yes ? Instead of discovering that fact by chance.

What about if your Music was played in China, or India, or in Sweden, or Austria, and you would not be informed ?
Or, has the Library gave you a final Fee, in order for the Library to use your Music as and wherever it pleases the Library ? Does the Contract that you signed say that your Music can travel anywhere ?

Ah business is business and Music, we still have so much to learn and understand.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: International promo royalties

Post by Kolstad » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 am

Great news! I don't know their business, but MTV have been known for using some of those blanket licences that doesn't pay you a whole lot, if I'm not mistaken. I guess this is somewhat different, though.
Ceo of my own life