Chalk Another one up for the Rally!!!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Chalk Another one up for the Rally!!!

Post by pedrocosta » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 am

Love it Kayle!!!
Congrats :)
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 am

Fantastic!
Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

keithl
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by keithl » Wed May 07, 2014 8:01 pm

NICE!

allen
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by allen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:03 pm

That's awesome!

Allen Myers
https://soundcloud.com/allen-myers

pboss
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by pboss » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:56 am

Kool, Kayle!
Patty Boss composes music for NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, Bravo, MTV, VH1, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/pattyboss
http://pattyboss.com

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:40 am

First Congratulations Kayle! That's awesome.

I'm wondering if I could pull out a few principles from your story so that others can learn from your success?

Otherwise, folks can tend to say - well that's great for him, now how do I get mine?
kclements wrote:This library was on one of the Listening Panels that happen to play one of my tracks. They liked the track and asked for a copy.
There are two principles that I want to point out here:

1) Create the best quality you can - both in the recording as well as the writing. So that when you have an opportunity for exposure, you take full advantage of it. Remember the definition of luck: Luck = Preparation + Opportunity. So be prepared for the opportunities.

2) Identify your target market and put yourself and your music in the position to be seen/experienced by them. Kayle went to the TAXI Road Rally. He chose to be in a room where libraries would be represented. He submitted his songs for review. Yes, there was luck involved in getting chosen - but you've got to be IN IT to WIN IT. Right?
kclements wrote:After the Panel, I briefly introduced myself and asked if it would be ok to contact them about the track sometime after the Rally.
3) I love that they gave you positive feedback, asked for the copy - and you still asked for permission to contact them. You were respectful, rather than entitled. It's what can I do for you (or how do you prefer to be contacted) rather than what can you do for me?
kclements wrote:I sent an email this week as a follow up and they are signing a number of tracks and I am free to send them new tracks anytime.
4) FOLLOW-UP - how many times have I heard artists say, well, so and so told me to call him, but I never did. OMG! That's like taking an opportunity and stamping on its head!

I'm curious Kayle, if you'd be willing to talk about your follow-up approach - was that the first email since the Road Rally? Were there other efforts that preceded this one?

Your Coach,
Debra

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:59 am

coachdebra wrote:
I'm curious Kayle, if you'd be willing to talk about your follow-up approach - was that the first email since the Road Rally? Were there other efforts that preceded this one?

Your Coach,
Debra
Thanks Debra for your kinds words and encouragement. I learned everything I know about networking from taxi folks like Tracy and Vance, Chuck, Mazz, Matt... This list goes on. This forum has been an amazing resource.

This was the first email sent since the Rally. I struggled with the timing. I didn't want to write too soon after the Rally, thinking they were catching up on things. But I worried I waited too long and they would forget who I was. So I sent the email introducing myself again, how we met and provided a link to both the song they liked, and a set list of three other tracks I did - all on soundcloud.

Once I got the return emailed, I followed up immediately with them and started a dialog.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:57 am

great story, great result, nice going kayle!

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:21 am

kclements wrote:Thanks Debra for your kinds words and encouragement. I learned everything I know about networking from taxi folks like Tracy and Vance, Chuck, Mazz, Matt... This list goes on. This forum has been an amazing resource.

This was the first email sent since the Rally. I struggled with the timing. I didn't want to write too soon after the Rally, thinking they were catching up on things. But I worried I waited too long and they would forget who I was. So I sent the email introducing myself again, how we met and provided a link to both the song they liked, and a set list of three other tracks I did - all on soundcloud.

Once I got the return emailed, I followed up immediately with them and started a dialog.

Cheers
kc
Excellent - so while you could have and/or perhaps should have followed up sooner - 6 months is a long time to wait - it wasn't too long. And you took really good care of them, by reminding them of who you were, where you met, and giving them what they might need.

I've talked to many indie Radio program directors who get follow up calls from artists who have an attitude of entitlement - have you listened to my unsolicited CD yet? Why not? What's wrong with you!?!

So again, good attitude and not letting the possibility that maybe you did wait too long stop you from action. What's the worse that could have happened? The person you met left the company and you are starting from scratch. What have you got to lose?

Your Coach,
Debra

pike
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pike » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Way to go Kayle!!!