Listings or libraries.. Where do you put your faith...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LittleRedChurch
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Listings or libraries.. Where do you put your faith...

Post by LittleRedChurch » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I think I see it... Kinda a rotation thing. 1st see if she'll fly on her own, if she doesn't, see if a library will take her.

Interesting what Kayle said about instrumentals. Maybe don't hold onto them quite as long... They're more replaceable...

The reason I asked...A library had asked me to write some songs in a certain vein and I simply never got around to it... Listings are just SO much more tempting... As I told Kayle, with libraries because they are SO inundated with songs I sometimes wonder if my song won't simply sink to the bottom. I mean when it's in my hands I am it's biggest advocate. It's my baby. I want to see it fly. Will libraries push it to the same extent... But maybe I'm wrong...

Argh I'll do the rotation thing!!

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:21 pm

LittleRedChurch wrote: ...As I told Kayle, with libraries because they are SO inundated with songs I sometimes wonder if my song won't simply sink to the bottom. I mean when it's in my hands I am it's biggest advocate. It's my baby. I want to see it fly. Will libraries push it to the same extent...
Couple things here. The libraries are ALWAYS in need of new tracks. so I don't think it gets pushed to the bottom. What's the first thing you do when you go to iTunes and search for an artist you're not familiar with? Look at the latest album they have out. I think Music sups do the same thing. Sure, they have there goto composers they look for - but new material will get noticed.

Second, libraries don't get paid unless they get placements. So, yes, they are out their working as hard as you are to get stuff placed. if they believe in your work - and they should if they signed you - they want you to get a ton of placements and will work hard for that. Because that's how they get paid too. And, they have the contacts that you and I don't have.

very good discussion here. thanks Graham.

kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:12 pm

If you place the song in a non-exclusive library, can't you just re-title it for a direct-to-supe listing?
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:21 pm

LittleRedChurch wrote:A library had asked me to write some songs in a certain vein and I simply never got around to it... Listings are just SO much more tempting... As I told Kayle, with libraries because they are SO inundated with songs I sometimes wonder if my song won't simply sink to the bottom. I mean when it's in my hands I am it's biggest advocate. It's my baby. I want to see it fly. Will libraries push it to the same extent... But maybe I'm wrong...
I think your logic is backwards here, Graham. If a reputable library asks you to write tracks in a certain style, jump on it. Those tend to be some of the BEST opportunities.

Libraries are always updating their catalogs for fresh music, especially to keep up with what's hot and contemporary. When they give you spec, you can be pretty darn sure those are NOT the tracks that will "sink to the bottom."

As we said earlier, libraries will push your tracks very hard. That's how THEY make money. A lot of direct to sup opps (not necessarily all) are one-shots whereby if the sup doesn't pick your track for their immediate need, your track may not get listened to again.

Nothing wrong with direct to sup leads. I love them and submit to them regularly. But it's important not to let the big dollar signs dangled in front of you skew your thinking too much as far as the big picture. It's not a get rich quick game. Ask any successful film/TV composer and they'll tell you it's a long haul game involving building up a catalog in multiple good libraries over many years.

:D Casey
Last edited by Casey H on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:23 pm

Russell Landwehr wrote:If you place the song in a non-exclusive library, can't you just re-title it for a direct-to-supe listing?
Yes. Or it will have already been re-titled when entered into the non-exclusive library. Most non-exclusive libraries re-title to ensure they collect only the publishing PRO royalties for THEIR placements.

If you have music in a non-exclusive library, there is no reason not to submit for direct to sup unless the listing says otherwise (usually doesn't).

LittleRedChurch
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LittleRedChurch » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Russell, I know nothing about legalities of any sort. I only know that with the songs I have with a library, they're locked in.

Casey, Kayle

You guys are definitely on the same page here... hmmm. Maybe I'll contact my library... if they remember who i am... lol "Little red WHAT??!! Next!"

You're right, Casey, those dollar signs are mighty alluring, but upon reflection, rarely or NEVER go to the little guy...

Thanks so much!

Owe ya's!!

Graham

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Well dear Graham, all I know is that a Library contacted Hector for his five Forwards in Latin Jazz category, you remember ?

http://forums.taxi.com/topic124727.html

I won't name names, I know that it is the Rule, but the Library was kind of we publish the best Songs on line, type of thing, they had a huge Website on line.
And Hector would need to check the Contract. Exclusive/or non Exclusive etc ...
Hector had in mind to ask the Services of a Lawyer.

It is just that these Latin Jazz recordings were really worth GOLD.
Hector said to me : "I have to think about it, because I will need to take care of you once in England"

This happened months before Hector won his formidable Legal Compensation, and when he finally became rich ! :D In any case, Hector was very rightfully protective of his live recorded Latin Jazz Music.

After that, Hector experienced misfortune and several ugly complications in his life, (not his fault), so he stopped concentrating on TAXI all together.

I tried my best for him.

So voila, this is our experience, dear Graham.

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks

Graham

Ps. It's also fun to write for listings. A very specific target to shoot for...
Yes indeed, it is very motivating and exciting. It gives us Ideas. And when it clicks on our Music Muse, it is great fun indeed to try hard hard hard to reach the Target.
Particularly so if it is a Genre that we are unfamiliar with.
Especially that Michael is an excellent Teacher, and he does NOT allow us to get away with average !
We have to try our best, our utmost very best or ... nothing !
I often complain that we do not have enough time to do so, more often than not, but I have learned with the majority of the TAXI Members, that to have very little Time is a great Incentive too.
Except when they ask us to do a Traditional Russian Instrumental, for instance ! :lol: For me it would take weeks to achieve, because there is so much to learn, to feel, etc ...

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 am

Excellent Comments, this is so very interesting !

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 am

If you're worried about it, write for the request and treat it as exclusive. Give it a limited amount of time then if no word send it to the libraries. Maybe you want to pitch it to exclusive libraries that still pay nice fees. If not, pitch it to several NE libraries. If you are the kind of person who writes lots of songs (folks here know I write instrumentals and write lots of those, like one a week ) consider pitching it to royalty free libraries if that doesn't work. I would say you know it isn't working when you submit to 15-20 libraries and it doesn't get picked up. I would only do that though if you plan on submitting lots of those to RF over time, say at least 100 - 150 tracks. I think though there is a bit less need for vocal tracks in that world. ALWAYS follow up. Make sure the libraries are ones that use vocal tracks.