New guy here: questions about Taxi vs public persona

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Page48

New guy here: questions about Taxi vs public persona

Post by Page48 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 am

Hello all. I'm new here, just signed up for Taxi. I've been making music for quite a while and have releases on iTunes and the other online retailers, I have a website, etc. To keep it short, what I mean to say is I do have a public-facing music career (not making big bucks but so it goes) and, I guess you'd call it a "persona" though that might sound pretentious. :D

I want to keep all that separate from Taxi but my artist profile wants my Soundcloud link, website, etc. Right now, I just left it all blank but I worry that not having all that hurts my chances here. Is it good enough just to submit to Taxi listings without all that extra "resume" stuff? Are any of you in this same situation and, if so, how did you separate things and pull this off successfully? Did you just start from scratch with a different identity for Taxi, different Soundcloud page, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New guy here: questions about Taxi vs public persona

Post by HectorRContreras » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Hello dear "Page", would be nice to have your Name. :)

Welcome to the Forum, welcome to TAXI !

Ok; Hector had all ready a good Resume, or Bio, from another party, and he just Copied and Pasted it for his Taxi page. No problem. I added a few stuff myself. More recent stuff.

Here the majority of the TAXI Members are in many other places as well, different to TAXI :
- iTune
- CD Baby
- Music SUBMIT
- HitLicense
- YouTube
- SoundCloud
- MySpace etc, etc, etc,

It is Ok !

But wait for other Members to come and enlighten you on this issue. It is only me !

Take care, Catherine.

PS : I would encourage you to keep the same Name everywhere. It won't help you if those who will grow to love your Music, are confused about who you really are.
It worked for Hector and myself, it is so easy to Google search us, for instance.
You will learn that when you will submit your Work at TAXI, that you have to give your Name, your e-mail Address and your Telephone number.
So that you are not lost ! :) ;) It would be a shame no ?

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:40 pm

You don't need to give Taxi anything but your name, a way to contact you, and of course the music you would like them to forward.

All of that other stuff isn't necessary to submit music. As a matter of fact, I don't think Taxi or the listing parties even use it or look at it. The only thing that is important to the screeners and Taxi, is that you music meets the need.

And you don't have to reveal any of that info to anyone here in the forum as well.

When you place songs on your Taxi Membership page, there are two boxes for "public" and "downloadable." If you uncheck these boxes, Taxi will still be able to screen your songs and send them to the folks placing the listings.

If you submit to Listings that are looking for "Artists" then it would be best to have a picture and Bio on your membership page. Otherwise, neither is needed.

HTH
Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Persona? :lol:

My feeling on the matter is you set it up however it works for you; everybody's gotta 'fake it 'til you make it', so I don't suppose a little pretension is gonna be much of an obstacle. (though I get mail addressed to Reverend & Mrs. Bone, from time to time) Personally, I find it difficult enough to become known for one thing, so putting each egg in its own basket is way too much hassle for me, though I have considered releasing some of my more atypical output under my slave...er, christian name. I do recall as how Sickie Wifebeater (he's a friend of a friend, LOL) had some difficulty with Facebook suspending his account, until they were made to understand he sings/bellows for the Mentors who have some schtick that's...well, let's say it's NSFW and creepier than GWAR...but it's just showbiz, folks; he's really a super nice guy.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone