Recently ran into this ASCAP registration issue

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Recently ran into this ASCAP registration issue

Post by CHuckmott » Thu May 29, 2014 4:46 am

I recently ran into a situation which a library where they (and it seems this is a nice rarity ) where they retitled and were attempting to register my tracks with ASCAP under my writer name and had written me a couple of times stating they couldn't find me under the IPI I had listed. As it turns out, I had signed up with ASCAP as both publisher and writer. When you do this there are 2 separate IPI's, one for publisher and one for writer. I wasn't aware of this, and keep a separate notebook with my info, and so I don't have to rely on memory, have been referring to the notebook where I unknowingly wrote down my publisher IPI. Turns out this is the wrong IPI, and to complicate things further listed my composer name on the ASCAP registration Charles (middle Name) Mott. Which virtually makes it impossible for the libraries to go in and register my tracks under my composer name. Food for thought. Anyone run into this kind of thing before?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Recently ran into this ASCAP registration issue

Post by Casey H » Thu May 29, 2014 4:56 am

CHuckmott wrote:I recently ran into a situation which a library where they (and it seems this is a nice rarity ) where they retitled and were attempting to register my tracks with ASCAP under my writer name and had written me a couple of times stating they couldn't find me under the IPI I had listed. As it turns out, I had signed up with ASCAP as both publisher and writer. When you do this there are 2 separate IPI's, one for publisher and one for writer. I wasn't aware of this, and keep a separate notebook with my info, and so I don't have to rely on memory, have been referring to the notebook where I unknowingly wrote down my publisher IPI. Turns out this is the wrong IPI, and to complicate things further listed my composer name on the ASCAP registration Charles (middle Name) Mott. Which virtually makes it impossible for the libraries to go in and register my tracks under my composer name. Food for thought. Anyone run into this kind of thing before?
Never ran into this because I was always very aware that a writer CAE/IPI and publisher CAE/IPI are different numbers.

Sometimes you have to make a mistake to learn something you'll never forget down the road!

:D Casey

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Recently ran into this ASCAP registration issue

Post by CHuckmott » Thu May 29, 2014 5:44 am

Just ran through hour and a half of contacting all and/or changing the info under my accounts . Problem was, if you look at the ASCAP cover page under general information, it listed as my IPI number the publisher one, so I copied it down and this is what I had sent everyone. Lesson learned, not the first lesson and probably not the last.