Best way to present tunes - contacting publisher directly?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Best way to present tunes - contacting publisher directly?

Post by denalihighway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:05 am

Hey guys,

So obviously contacting publishers directly can be quite a fruitless exercise as we know. But there are those who seem to welcome you sending them unsolicited stuff.

In your experience what kind of way do they like the stuff to be presented? I know needless to say, its a big no no to clog up their inbox with mp3s for example.

I had been mulling over a few options:

1) set up a comprehensive page on my website for songs, with soundcloud players for each song categorised under genre headings. Then in my email, link to this page?
2) within the email itself that I send to the publisher, showcase my best tunes, categorised by genre, with soundcloud links?
3) make up a showreel, ideally with my songs running over visuals etc?
4) link straight to my Soundcloud - doubt they would have the patience/time to trundle through this though?

This is my website - so I guess the 'music page' (which I've been meaning to put together for a while anyway), would look like an extended version of the songs on the homepage. - http://www.sweetstasis.com/

What ways do these cats like their milk delivered?? :)

It makes me nervous I guess, since you can make such a bad impression and screw everything by doing things like a bonehead...

Thanks as always,
Gar

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Best way to present tunes - contacting publisher directl

Post by coachdebra » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:52 am

I can't necessarily say how to submit - because every publisher/library/music supervisor has their own preferences and if they accept unsolicited music, often they will tell you in what form somewhere on their website.

But here are a couple of don't do's:

1) DON'T contact a publisher directly that you've been forwarded to by TAXI but haven't been contacted by.
2) DON'T find their social media and spam them with messages that say in essence: "check out my music!"
3) DON'T send your music unsolicited to their email as an attachment

And a few Do's:

1) Spend the money to attend conferences that you know they'll be at - in person connection is the strongest. (like the TAXI Road Rally for example) But DON'T (unless they specifically ask) hand them your CD - you will likely get lost in the huge pile of CD's they take home. DO ask if it's OK for you to contact them after the conference with a link to your music. DO ask if they accept unsolicited music and how they prefer to receive it. Most importantly - DO ask about their lives - show real genuine interest in them as people (which will set you apart from all the others who are all about what they can get, rather than what they can give.)

2) If you are contacted by a publisher/library/music supervisor as a result of a forward from TAXI, it's a great idea to ask if they are looking for any other music and would they like to hear other selections from your catalog.

3) Most importantly - DO keep your word. If you promise them something by end of business tomorrow - deliver it on time or early. If they suggest you follow up in 2 months, DO follow up in 2 months. Be a professional, treat them with consideration - it will earn you major points that may turn into opportunities down the line.

4) DO find their social media and engage with them as people. Once you've established an actual relationship with them, you can ask if they'd be interested in hearing your music. But relationship comes FIRST

HTH
Your Coach,
Debra

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Debra,

Great information, thanks very much for that. Especially regarding making a link through social media etc.

Unfortunately living in Ireland, my chances to meet these people are few and far between. So I have to rely a lot on e-communication and obviously, all going well, contacts through some successful song forwards etc.

Food for thought there.

I'm working on a little database of publishers / libraries and I plan on doing more digging, but are you aware of any decent resources where I made get the names of some of these guys?

Thanks

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 am

denalihighway wrote:
I'm working on a little database of publishers / libraries and I plan on doing more digging, but are you aware of any decent resources where I made get the names of some of these guys?

Thanks
http://www.musicregistry.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:48 am

Great advice already given. :D

Nothing wrong with researching publishers/libraries and making contacts on your own (within the reasonable limits already mentioned). As Debra said, DON'T contact to say "Hey, Taxi just forwarded my song to you"...

First thing is see if they have a website. Many have submission information on their sites. If not, there will generally be contact info. A brief polite & professional email introducing yourself, styles/genres, mentioning any credits, etc. asking if they are taking submissions and what their submission guidelines are is fine. Don't write a two page bio telling them how you took violin lessons in 2nd grade. Before submitting, make sure you really have the goods. If there are samples of the music already in their catalog on their site, listen and see how your tracks stand up.

:D Casey

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Debra and Casey,

Great stuff - thanks very much

Bye for now
Gar