How About Them Listings'

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

How About Them Listings'

Post by dynamicalan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Each day I get quite a few listings as I'm sure you do if your subscribed to the email. Some are for music supervisors some are for publishers and some are dispatch I think to some extent there may be come aspects of these listings each of us can't do. While, I'm not asking anyone to do my work I am thinking there may be some members who may be able to use what I do that they cannot such as more production if your an acoustic guitar player/vocalist only musician as an example. If you pass a lot of listings by on a daily basis and process these emails like I do please join the discussion. Remember if you drive by without adding anything no one knows what you were thinking about.
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

Bliciouz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: How About Them Listings'

Post by Bliciouz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:57 am

I'm not a member but I browse the listings now and then just to see what they're about. The only recording equipment I have is my galaxy s3. I don't have the money to buy some home set up and neither the knowledge to use it so the requirements for listings seem like miles away for me at the moment.

You might be right about some of the listings asking for the impossible (for some of us) but you could also see it in a different light. I think it's amazing that Taxi is a platform where a simple guy with a dream of being a singer/songwriter gets the opportunity to submit to these large publishers and libraries. Taxi is a resource that keeps my dream alive. So yeah, the requirements might seem impossible but it also lights a spark in me to keep improving myself as songwriter and as singer, get me some decent gear one day and look for collaborators that do have the things that you lack.

Bert

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:20 am

I didn't intend to say these listings are impossible. But, more can be done when more abilities are joined. But, if you are able to record in digital format it makes it easier to work with what you write. Here's the thing:
I can record in a daw and bounce it down to a song thar can be put on Dropbox and you can do this for basic writing just by clicking the record button and arming the track but there's more to it as far as recording audio or instruments go. It's not easy and that's where production companies can help but for writing; file sharing isn't.

GavinKMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GavinKMusic » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:20 pm

I get dispatch and the regular listings. I pass on most as the songs I have in my library so far usually are not what the listings are asking for. I definitely don't do vocals so those are out and I tend to lean more towards electronic dance music. I've been a member since January and have only submitted to 2 listings so far and they were for Hip Hop which I was surprised I wrote.

I can't say what I will write next but it's got to be fun otherwise whats the point? Just enjoying the writing/production process. Loving it actually. 8-)
VST Based Project Studio running Cubase 7.5, Nexus2, Sylenth1, Stylus RMX and Trilian.
Taxi
Broadjam
Facebook
Soundcloud

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Part of this may show the importance of vocals. If musicians that sing always find co-writers that do production then, it may be, the best thing a musician can do is to study voice. I think not being able to sing is a common place to be. But, some may be the type of musician that sing and play guitar not doing production. And, some could be instrumentalists that do some production incorporating some skills of arranging and orchestration. Everyone's at their own stage In writing and production.

If your just a lyricist and you're not involved with the music side at all then you don't to worry about recording in digital format but if you are a lyricist/vocalist or a non production type then it's fairly easy to record with Garage Band. That being said; if your not an Apple user at all then that's more difficult. But, an older Apple computer will do that just fine.

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:39 pm

Audacity works great on a PC, also Reaper - both are free for PCs.

This is from a lyricist who doesn't sing :o but who knows a bit about music and can use a DAW on a basic level

Collaboration is the answer - even for musicians who have mastered all the skills, co-writing increases the vibe dynamically; 1 + 1 = 4 ;)
and it's FUN :D
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Yea Amanda! That's great advice. I was trying to remember to say that last night but you said it simpler and better with your 1+1.

Bliciouz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Bliciouz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:22 am

Yeah co-writing is the best. I'm not a great instrumentalist or producer but I can sing and write lyrics + melodies. So co-writing with the right kind of person works perfect. Everyone can do what he does best and it can lead to great results. And I think that if a song is really good it doesn't have to be perfectly produced, people will notice it.
And Amanda's 1+1=4 explanation is so true!

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:59 am

Hello,

I suppose I am asking is there any consistency in these listings over time so if you write to a listing now will it be good for a listing of it's type later in time. Because it isn't practical to do this in one day. There is one exception to this: If you are married to a co-writer vocalist or if you live with your co-writer or nearby then it's conceivable you could. In addition, this also means you are that type personality, the type that writes with other writers not alone to bring in later such as the ISTJ. But, even if that's the case rewrites are usually involved when getting a song ready for the market.

I usually like to keep my co-wirters down to a single writer. This may seem like it's unreasonable but this can cause each writer to have a deeper experience. There are some, specifically one person I'm thinking about that uses a whole team of writers.

I just got a listing to help terminally ill children. I have to admit that even if help can't be made the actual trying to actually helps anyway. I'm not able to help at this time but I want to get something ready for the next time. This is one time I don't really care how much it pays.

when I was young we didn't have Taxi but now we do. It's a great learning experience and gives us an opportunity to do what we love - give music.