Screener 300 anyone?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slyjoe

Screener 300 anyone?

Post by slyjoe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a pattern to Screener 300's critiques? I've had 3 separate occasions where, rather than comment on how the track is or isn't appropriate for a listing, they pick one line (from the first verse) that they think should have a different phrasing or melody, and reject the song based on that. Every. Time. That is their only comments, and it's worded almost identically in each of the three instances.

I know it's all subjective, and one person's opinion is ultimately deciding whether to forward or not.

But what do you think? Would you have also rejected these songs on the same technicality? Are these 2 genres so opposed to a melody that happens more than once?

"Miles and Miles to Go" (singer/songwriter listings)
"Kiss You Again" (country)
http://www.taxi.com/slyjoe

Thanks, Joe.

barraba

Re: Screener 300 anyone?

Post by barraba » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi Joe

I think those songs of yours sound really great and I enjoyed listening to them!

I feel you as I have gone through recurring similar experiences but mine was about not "using metaphors or physical details like time and space (e.g. more specific..."

I thought we were mostly to use universal lyrics and avoid specific mention of names and brands and places....

My last submission was for a Sam Smith like song -- I googled it and failed to see where in the lyrics of his signature song, Stay With Me, were there use of metaphors and specific physical details? It's a great song and won the Grammy but I fail to see why my song was rejected based on this reasoning and that my lyrics were too straightforward in comparison with the reference. In fact, I think the charm in Stay With Me was it's directness and simplicity rather than the use of bombastic, metaphorical allusions that would have confounded the listener and thus ruin the experience listening to the song.

Good luck on your future submissions!
Last edited by barraba on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madison166

Post by madison166 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:04 pm

slyjoe wrote:Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a pattern to Screener 300's critiques? I've had 3 separate occasions where, rather than comment on how the track is or isn't appropriate for a listing, they pick one line (from the first verse) that they think should have a different phrasing or melody, and reject the song based on that. Every. Time. That is their only comments, and it's worded almost identically in each of the three instances.

I know it's all subjective, and one person's opinion is ultimately deciding whether to forward or not.

But what do you think? Would you have also rejected these songs on the same technicality? Are these 2 genres so opposed to a melody that happens more than once?

Thanks, Joe.
I just had same thing Joe from this screener on one of my first submissions so you are not alone!

I thought it was a pretty kick arse song but screener told me to "change the delivery in line 5 (verse one) in order to create more give and take with line 2". I am honestly not sure what he's getting at. More likely his gut instinct told him the song wasn't right and he probably didn't get much further than the first verse. He might just want to put down a quick comment before moving on to the next song which I can in a way understand. It's not right I agree because it can throw a writer of the scent but it's probably the nature of the beast with some screeners.

Onaginoffegin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Onaginoffegin » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Wow, a mutual screener-bashing thread. Think I'll join in.

Actually, I'm not here to bash screeners, or any particular screener, because I don't know them.
I know they're supposed to listen to submissions in their entirety.
Do all of them do this? I can't say. And because I can't say, I would never post: "...he probably didn't get much further than the first verse," because I have no evidence to back this up.

I also know this forum is filled with TAXI members who have taken their screener's criticism to heart, changed their songs accordingly, and have gotten them forwarded next time around.
I'm one of them.

Also, I have to believe that a screener would much rather forward a song and make a TAXI member happy, than return a song and have to explain why.

I also believe that screeners are very competent in their genres. I base this on informative and helpful critiques I've gotten that have helped me turn pieces around.
Having said that, I don't believe that all screeners are equally competent when it comes to writing critiques.
Critiques I've gotten range from "making me glad I got a return" to "what is this guy even saying."

But in the end, I look at returns as an indication that my submission didn't measure up, for whatever reason. And then I set about tackling what I need to do to improve it.
IMO, posting a theory that a screener is not doing his job, when I have only supposition but no evidence of this, will in no way improve my music.

And finally, if I were a screener and had to listen to 300 submissions, I'd shoot myself.

Henry

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:02 am

slyjoe wrote:Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a pattern to Screener 300's critiques? I've had 3 separate occasions where, rather than comment on how the track is or isn't appropriate for a listing, they pick one line (from the first verse) that they think should have a different phrasing or melody, and reject the song based on that. Every. Time. That is their only comments, and it's worded almost identically in each of the three instances.

Thanks, Joe.
Hey Joe,

if you are asking for the forum's opinion on a return it is more clear to post the entire listing text (the entire text, don't edit anything out) from each of the opportunities that you submitted these tracks too. Those can be found in the Submission History in your TAXI account page by clicking on the listing number. Don't just put the listing # in as most people won't be able to find the actual listing. I never can! :lol:

The reason to post the entire listing: sometimes the precise sentence offered by the screener is the reason for the return, sometimes its a more general case of "wasn't right for the listing" or it could be things like the production was not "broadcast quality".

Good luck and hope you post again with the listing info.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:30 am

Well, I think if it is the same song submitted to the same screener three different times and had the same critique, she would be one heck of a screener, but then women tend to have a better memory than men, and a man has a better liklihood of just being an ass,lol! :P :lol:

I think we'd need a few more details to figure out if screener 300 was a man or a woman, or wait, does that even matter,lol! :P

+1 with what Andy said!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

madison166

Post by madison166 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:29 am

Onaginoffegin wrote:Wow, a mutual screener-bashing thread. Think I'll join in.

Actually, I'm not here to bash screeners, or any particular screener, because I don't know them.
I know they're supposed to listen to submissions in their entirety.
Do all of them do this? I can't say. And because I can't say, I would never post: "...he probably didn't get much further than the first verse," because I have no evidence to back this up.

I also know this forum is filled with TAXI members who have taken their screener's criticism to heart, changed their songs accordingly, and have gotten them forwarded next time around.
I'm one of them.

Also, I have to believe that a screener would much rather forward a song and make a TAXI member happy, than return a song and have to explain why.

I also believe that screeners are very competent in their genres. I base this on informative and helpful critiques I've gotten that have helped me turn pieces around.
Having said that, I don't believe that all screeners are equally competent when it comes to writing critiques.
Critiques I've gotten range from "making me glad I got a return" to "what is this guy even saying."

But in the end, I look at returns as an indication that my submission didn't measure up, for whatever reason. And then I set about tackling what I need to do to improve it.
IMO, posting a theory that a screener is not doing his job, when I have only supposition but no evidence of this, will in no way improve my music.

And finally, if I were a screener and had to listen to 300 submissions, I'd shoot myself.

Henry
Hi Henry, I spent about half an hour writing a response on how I think some screeners work on here. It was just my opinion, I have no proof or evidence that would stand up in court and after all this isn't a crime scene it's just a few folks writing songs. It was not bashing screeners at all but recognizing the tough job they do (free speech and all that). Unfortunately it hasn't appeared on here so maybe the mods have deemed it not suitable for TAXI eyes. So I'll just leave it there and try not to upset anyone anymore.