A few questions for Road Rally veterans

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

A few questions for Road Rally veterans

Post by Tim_Behrens » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:35 am

Hi folks. Looking for some advice from the Road Rally veterans.

I think the convention starts on a Thursday. Would you all recommend flying in on the Wednesday before, or does arriving the day of work for you?

Also, I am curious how much in advance you would recommend booking a room there? Are there convention rates and, if so, how do you take advantage of them?

It's a bit more personal of a question, but I'm wondering if anyone could share about how much it cost them to attend the rally. For me, a flight out there looks to run around $300, plus four or five nights stay, plus food and drink. I was kind of thinking around $1200 could do it. Does that sound in the ballpark?

Honestly, I'm a bit of an introvert, and the thought of attending is a bit terrifying, but it feels like it would be a great opportunity to network and meet some amazing people. Pretty sure that this is the year I take the leap.
Thanks for your time and advice,
--Tim Behrens
TimBehrens.com | SoundCloud
Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | @TimBehrens

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: A few questions for Road Rally veterans

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 am

Hi Tim
No need to book a room until Taxi announces that rooms are available at their special Road Rally rate. Keep an eye out for email from Taxi. If you don't get regular Taxi newsletter emails, contact them and make sure you are on the email list.

There is a bunch of information on the thread below. As far as being an introvert, the rally is one of the easiest places in the world to make friends. Just about everyone in the hotel is a rally attendee and wearing a Taxi Road Rally badge. In this thread, you'll see a mention of forum members wearing dots on their badges. Very helpful! Other forum members will instantly recognize you as a fellow forum-ite. Definitely wear a dot!
http://forums.taxi.com/topic72927.html

As far as costs, the hotel rate the past few years was $123 + taxes, making it approx. $140-$145 a night if I recall. As far as meals, if you avoid the hotel restaurant (unless you want to treat yourself to a more expensive but very good meal! Eat dinner there at least once if you can!), you can keep your budget down. There are some fast food restaurants very close (Subway, Taco Bell) and a Denny's up the road. Obviously, if you drink at the hotel bar, expect to spend some big bucks. Without bar tabs, you could probably do OK on $40-$45/day food money, maybe less. I buy some sodas and snacks at the gift shop which is not the worst, price-wise. The hotel has a Starbucks in the lobby in the morning and if a bagel and coffee is breakfast for you, that's not too bad.

Looking forward to meeting you! Contact me if I can be of more help!

:D Casey

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks so much for the reply, Casey! That is all really helpful. Just read through the thread you shared and bookmarked it as well. Through that, I found this:

http://www.taxi.com/rally/generalinfo2013.html

Just sharing for anyone who stumbles across this thread. Lots of good information.

I so appreciate your reply, and look forward to meeting you, too.
Have a great one!
--Tim Behrens
TimBehrens.com | SoundCloud
Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | @TimBehrens

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:02 pm

From what I recall, the Starbucks stand was gone last year. Better plan on coffee in your room! Unless... cross your fingers it comes back this year. Early mornings and musicians don't typically go hand in hand, haha.

~~Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:27 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:From what I recall, the Starbucks stand was gone last year. Better plan on coffee in your room! Unless... cross your fingers it comes back this year. Early mornings and musicians don't typically go hand in hand, haha.

~~Matt
Actually, the in-room coffee is better! It's free! I always make my first morning dose in my room! :shock:

:D Casey

CrimsnSyrn
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CrimsnSyrn » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:01 pm

FWIW, the Starbucks cart was there last year - they just moved it from the previous years - to the far end of the lobby (past the hotel registration desk). :-)
Juliet

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:34 pm

The coffee line gets way long tho ;)

but in room coffee is good, and you can drink it while waiting in the coffee line talking to people.

Arriving the day before is what I prefer, that way I can sit and watch everything on Thursday and start to meet up with people

There is so much going on, pick the classes that would most benefit you.

Don't be afraid to approach people but don't shove your CD in their face, strike up a conversation or by me, er u them a drink ;)

I am a bit introverted too, but meeting people there is easy...

don't try and rent a car and drive around LA its a big PIA, but if you want to site see I think there are busses and trolleys..

See you there!

singer1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by singer1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:03 am

About the java thing...
Whenever I'm on the road I bring my french press, some great beans, a grinder & I am off to rocket land! Never been sorry I brought these items along, on ANY trip. :D
Looking forward to this year's rally & and seeing all the different excited people. Love the energy found at Road Rally's. Peace, D.B.M.

... the only race we're in, is the human race.... D.B.M.

www.taxi.com/davidbradleymau
www.reverbnation.com/davidbradleymau
www.airplaydirect.com/davidbradleymau
www.davidbradleymau.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:13 am

Definitely go for the free in-room coffee. :D You can always ask for extra packets.

Shell introverted? :lol: :? ;) :P

:) Casey