Questions about submissions to a particular library....

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Questions about submissions to a particular library....

Post by CHuckmott » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:04 am

First off this is not a library that Taxi forwarded to. because I don;t wat this to be seen as representative of the libraries that Taxi works with but here are some questions, and folks that have dealings with libraries please feel free to tell me if this is a norm or expectation.....

I've been working with a library for about a year. Unlike some of the libraries that I deal with this particular library doesn't let me send stuff for review, rather they send out brief and don't accept submissions any other way other then to respond to their briefs, which is fine and makes sense but kind of limits the number of tracks I can send them and ties my hands maybe a little as far as succeeding with the library ( i only have about 8-10 tracks with them as a result, as opposed to say 25-50 or so in others).

They have recently asked in they briefs for exclusive tracks only. I will send tracks in , and , I presume in the interest of making a track work, they are also in the habits of asking for revisions - sometimes four or five or so in a couple week period, before they deem the track ready. I don't believe it is the case with just my tracks, as they now ask that we send them in time for them to check out and ask for revisions in their briefs. They are essentially an exclusive library now.

Because this is a time consuming process, how long would you guys continue to submit without hearing of news of a placement, or would you expect to hear anything back once the track is completed, other then a "track sounds good, thank you " e-mail?

This is generally not the case with other libraries I work with who let me just send my stuff along and put it in the system. The revisions that they ask for usually tie me up for a week and get in the way of my writing goal of putting out a track a week. Would be fine if it meant getting a juicy placement but unsure where this arrangement is headed? I understand that libraries exist who are choosy even after they accept your tracks for which racks they are going to accept and put in the system.

I likely could send them these questions, but don't want to tee them off or otherwise look amateurish, so asking here first. Also not post in this in MLR as libraries have a way of responding there and honestly I believe folks censor their opinions based on that. , so, thoughts?

Thanks!

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Questions about submissions to a particular library....

Post by Cruciform » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:16 am

Hi Chuck,

One year with a library is nothing.

Having said that, do you mean they are after 4-5 revisions per cue? Are they paying anything up front? Do you get a share of blankets? Are you likely to get decent license fees? Or is it a case of hoping for some backend?

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:55 pm

Yes aout 4-5 revisions and emails per cue. If there is upfront money I believe they do a 50/50 split, and work with reality tv shows for a lot of the placements based on the briefs. Mentioned elsewhere I have seen they've placed tracks on Discovery. Going to re-read their contract more if full, but I do believe the split any upfront money or blanket ees with you. Check your messages. I've not seen a lot of mentions of them placing track, although There a a couple or three. Trust me I'm it complaining but I don't want to spend time chasing my tail for nothing either. All said, they were among the first to work with me and were real selective what they took then.

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:04 pm

One question I have is whether the revisions they ask for are purposeful and actually do make the tracks more marketable, i.e., are they giving intelligent feedback or just shooting in the wind and hoping they like what comes back? Let's assume they know what they're doing and the requested changes make sense. But why does it takes up to 5 revisions to get the music the way they want it? Are their change requests coming in bits and pieces or all at once in a comprehensive form? And is there a common thread to the type of revisions they ask for, so that once you know what they like, future pieces can incorporate those elements from the start and avoid all the rewrites?

So on the one hand, if the library really knows its business, knows music and the intricacies of production, etc., the fact they are trying to ensure that their catalog is as good and marketable as possible is a positive thing. On the other hand, it would be reassuring to know that the effort expended by its members showed some evidence of bearing fruit. Have you been in touch with other members of this library to find out what level of success they've seen?

Keep in mind that the competition, the product, and the choices available to music end users are growing exponentially. You already know this, but just a reminder that patience, hard work, and perseverance are the minimum requirements for survival in this business.

Good luck!

Richard

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:42 am

The feedback is generally good, and I am starting to get the sense they like working with new composers. Seesms they do reality TV mostly, and I've seems a mention of a placement on the Discovery channel. One reality show they are pitching now is for VH1. Certainly a resume builder . Mind you I'm not complaining but 2 years into the composing this now and one year into independently pitching to libraries, trying to be smart about where to focus my energies.