Laptop Keyboard Problem

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Laptop Keyboard Problem

Post by AmandaJane » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi guys & gals - hopefully there are some pc nerd types interested enough to read this :lol: :oops:

This is kinda music based, in that all my songs, record keeping, collab tracks and so on, are what I use my laptop for - as well as a DAW which I am slowly learning to use.

My problem is that the keys on my PC Windows 7 laptop are randomly switching on and off, and not just the letters. The back button and caps button also play up. It is happening all the time, whether machine is hot or cold, newly turned on and been worked on for hours... :cry:

It is mainly a random selection of the same keys, about 12 or 15 in total, but never all at once, and usually the ones that go together are close together on the keyboard... :roll:

I have cleaned (hoovered) the keyboard, and taken a few keys off to see if my cat(s) have nested under there :shock: There was a tiny bit of detrius, but not much, which I cleaned up (dust).

I have run a couple of adware/bad stuff removing programs and found no virus (plus my normal free anti virus).

My machine is a Fujitsu Lifebook A series 530. It has a spillproof keyboard. I bought it in Sept 2012. Windows 7.

Any ideas please ??? As it is seriously hindering my ability to write/work :? :cry:

I need to find a 'free' solution and currently I have no funds to buy a new keyboard or laptop.

One thing I haven't tid et (see it just started again for a tiny minute !!!) OK - One thing I haven't tried yet, is to plug in a remote keyboard via usb.

Thanks in advance :)
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Laptop Keyboard Problem

Post by HectorRContreras » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Hello dear Amanda,

Coming here to your help ... I remember what happened during the recent Michael Ustream TV Show :o ;) Your non functioning properly Keyboard looked like you had just invented a new Language, and it was an exercise for our brain to decipher your Comments at the Chat Room.
I tried, didn't I ?
It looked often like this : f w go urld t ou sf oday !!!

And to imagine that your Cat(s) could be nesting under some of the Keys of your Keyboard, make me smile :P You have one Female Cat and three or four Kittens now, yes ?

Amanda's Kittens -june 2014 copy.jpg
Amanda's Kittens-June 2014
Amanda's Kittens -june 2014 copy.jpg (49.56 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Logic tells me, after reading your different explanations, that there is a problem of connection, electrical connection.
Meaning that some the electric current, (I read : Current : "a flow of electricity which results from the ordered directional movement of electrically charged particles"), for a reason, does not access well and on a regular basis, the devices underneath each one of your Keys. Are these devices underneath each one of your Keys made of Copper ?

Or, alternatively, it could be similar to a Piano. The Musician plays the Note but the "marteau" as we call it in France, the little "hammer", does not strike the cord.

So, in other word, the problem is either electrical or mechanical.

Only a good Technician could solve the problem. Perhaps your Husband and yourself could jump in the car, and go to your next big Town, and have the Keyboard repaired ?[/color]

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:01 pm

It's probably something sticky, coke syrup, finger oil?? If the keyboard is easily removed, I would remove it and flood it with alcohol. If you don't want to remove it, unplug it and remove the battery first. Just make sure it is dry before you put the battery or plug it in. Canned air should help it dry quicker. It might be difficult with those particular type of touch keyboards to tell if a key is sticking. If windows says your keyboard is working that's more than likely what is happening. The keys basically make contact with a circuit board, if the circuit path is damaged or open, you wouldn't send any signal at all.

Hope that helps! If it works better but not completely, or some keys are stickier than others, you might need to repeat again.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Dear Amanda,

What's up ? Did you find a solution ? You have not come back to us ... :cry:

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Guys 8-)

Sorry for not getting back for a bit - domestic stuff was occupying my brain :oops:

As you can see, I am in a 'keyboard working' period for a while so far this afternoon :lol: Not sure how long it will last :roll:

I am pretty convinced that it is electrical. I have never spilt anything in it, or anywhere near it. Yes there are dusty bits under the keys, but when I snap off the key tops and blow any tiny bits out, replace the key top, and the problem is still there. Its a very delicate touch typing keyboard - its apparently 'spill proof' in the blurb :shock:

When it happens it is generally a similar set of keys that go off, including the back/delete key for correcting errors and the caps key.

After loads of reading/research, I am almost at the conclusion that I need to get the keyboard replaced - extremely annoying as I only bought the laptop less than 2 years ago :(

So - it will have to wait, as I've no pennies at the moment :lol: I am thinking that I may be able to fit it myself if I buy the keyboard from the net - shouldn't be too hard ????

Len - I will investigate doing something like you suggest - I just have to be careful I don't break it totally, because I can't work at all then :o

Talk soon and thank you both so much :)
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:38 am

AmandaJane wrote:Hi Guys 8-)

Sorry for not getting back for a bit - domestic stuff was occupying my brain :oops:

As you can see, I am in a 'keyboard working' period for a while so far this afternoon :lol: Not sure how long it will last :roll:

I am pretty convinced that it is electrical. I have never spilt anything in it, or anywhere near it. Yes there are dusty bits under the keys, but when I snap off the key tops and blow any tiny bits out, replace the key top, and the problem is still there. Its a very delicate touch typing keyboard - its apparently 'spill proof' in the blurb :shock:

When it happens it is generally a similar set of keys that go off, including the back/delete key for correcting errors and the caps key.

After loads of reading/research, I am almost at the conclusion that I need to get the keyboard replaced - extremely annoying as I only bought the laptop less than 2 years ago :(

So - it will have to wait, as I've no pennies at the moment :lol: I am thinking that I may be able to fit it myself if I buy the keyboard from the net - shouldn't be too hard ????

Len - I will investigate doing something like you suggest - I just have to be careful I don't break it totally, because I can't work at all then :o

Talk soon and thank you both so much :)
It's delicate because it is more sensitive to 'stickies' because it doesn't travel as far as a regular keyboard. The 'spill-proof' means that if anything is spilled, it will not leak into the computer internals, not that it won't affect the keyboard itself. You needn't have spilled a liquid, but if you've ever applied lotion to your hands, over time the oil collects debris, also if you eat at your laptop, the food residue on your fingers can build up as well, or even sneezed and mucous has hardened, :(
A quick drying, non-corrosive,non-conductive electronic solvent of some sort, not a solvent/lubricant like wd40 or tuner cleaner/lube, as the lube will collect dust and debris faster from the lube.
I think your fear of breaking it totally are not very likely. It's also not likely to be a defective keyboard because you've had it two years before any problems. It's also far more logical to be dirt than actual wear and tear, unless you've used it to extreme before it got a chance to collect dust,lol! Good luck!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

mladendomic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mladendomic » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:11 am

Amanda,

have you tried to connect external USB keyboard? They should be cheap and easy to connect (just do it).
Try it for some time and if it works OK, then you'll know it's mechanical error and not of some Windows setup *thing*.

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:39 pm

I use the Logitech K400R

It's wireless, but not bluetooth and that is really good for me.

It's inexpensive as well.