orchestral sample libraries

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slyjoe

Re: orchestral sample libraries

Post by slyjoe » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 am

I just saw Komplete Elements will be on sale at GuitarCenter this weekend for $30. The demo I heard which uses VSL orchestra sounded pretty nice.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... ntent=1537

slyjoe

Post by slyjoe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Anyone use EWQL Symphonic Orchestra?

http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra#

Seems like another good introductory bundle. It says I need an iLok, which looks like an addition $50 purchase. Is this the only way EWQL products function?

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 am

slyjoe wrote:Anyone use EWQL Symphonic Orchestra?

http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra#

Seems like another good introductory bundle. It says I need an iLok, which looks like an addition $50 purchase. Is this the only way EWQL products function?
A lot of us cut our teeth on that. It was the standard for years and still holds up fairly well, at least as a full orch package. You will need an iLok. If you are on Mac, many people have issues with EWQL products. If you're on PC, it's generally fine.

slyjoe

Post by slyjoe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 am

Cruciform wrote:
A lot of us cut our teeth on that. It was the standard for years and still holds up fairly well, at least as a full orch package. You will need an iLok. If you are on Mac, many people have issues with EWQL products. If you're on PC, it's generally fine.
Thanks for the info cruciform. Is there anywhere I can find a second-hand or discounted iLok? Or maybe iLok 2 if that's the new standard that will be required.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:19 pm

slyjoe wrote:
Cruciform wrote:
Thanks for the info cruciform. Is there anywhere I can find a second-hand or discounted iLok? Or maybe iLok 2 if that's the new standard that will be required.
the $49 hurts, but if you choose to use plugins that require iLok - its worthwhile to get the iLok2. It holds a huge number of licenses and you shouldn't need to buy another. Not necessarily true with the original iLok.

good luck!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:31 pm

https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:52 pm

I learned how to use MIDI instruments with Miroslav Philharmonik. But listening back to those early recordings of mine, they sound fake beyond belief. Not sure if that's the fault of the library, or my amateur usage. Regardless, I quickly outgrew it. Still though, for under a hundred bucks, it might be worth playing with to see if you're even all that interested in orchestral stuff before shelling out some bigger bucks.

In regards to iLoks, I was using an iLok 1st Generation for years to hold a bunch of authorizations. When I upgraded to ProTools 11 earlier this summer, I had to switch to an iLok 2, as the first gen wouldn't work with newer products. So, better get yourself an iLok 2. Even for $50, you'll be needing one for all sorts of stuff sooner or later, so might as well just fork it over!

~~Matt

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:52 am

Any of the Nexus2 expansions any good for strings?
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

slyjoe

Post by slyjoe » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:08 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:I learned how to use MIDI instruments with Miroslav Philharmonik. But listening back to those early recordings of mine, they sound fake beyond belief. Not sure if that's the fault of the library, or my amateur usage. Regardless, I quickly outgrew it. Still though, for under a hundred bucks, it might be worth playing with to see if you're even all that interested in orchestral stuff before shelling out some bigger bucks.

In regards to iLoks, I was using an iLok 1st Generation for years to hold a bunch of authorizations. When I upgraded to ProTools 11 earlier this summer, I had to switch to an iLok 2, as the first gen wouldn't work with newer products. So, better get yourself an iLok 2. Even for $50, you'll be needing one for all sorts of stuff sooner or later, so might as well just fork it over!

~~Matt
I downloaded the trial version of Miroslav last week, and I agree with your assessment of it Matt. The strings sounded like a patch on my keyboard, very underwhelming. In the last few weeks as I've been researching all the libraries I can find, it seems that Vienna Stings overwhelmingly takes the cake. It's a little out of my budget at this point, so I'm going to start with EWQLSO silver edition, which also gets a lot of good reviews, and I've heard some real-world applications on youtube that are quite impressive.

I did just get the iLok2 as well. Only $39.50 on bhphotovideo.com (thanks Len911 !!)

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Hey Sly,
Silver Edition is one of the first better libraries I had gotten many years back, when it was way more money too, but it's still very weak by today's standards.
Really, you should just go for the Gold Complete edition. That has the best "full" orchestra sounds for the money. It's only 247.50 (a little more than the $97 for the Silver, but way better) at Sweetwater Music right now. It's 30 gigs of samples, and many articulations
That library will be the best to learn on, and then still be able to tweak as you get good enough for some serious stuff.
I still think the Hollywood Strings for $99 bucks is the best bang for the buck, but it is not a full orchestra as you would like, nor all the articulations.
Anyhoo, just what I would do....FWIW
You'll find your way with any of them, so have fun!
Steve
Worse, how can it be worse...Jehova Jehova Jehova