orchestral sample libraries

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slyjoe

orchestral sample libraries

Post by slyjoe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:33 am

I'm thinking of getting an introductory orchestral sample library. While Xpand2 for PT has a few decent sounds (pizz and trem strings, and low sounds like doublebass, bari sax, etc...) most of the orchestral sounds are lacking.

I'd like a nice bundle with some strings, brass, and woodwinds. So far checking out Kontact Komplete 8 Elements ($49) and IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik ($79) and the demos sound pretty good. I know there's much better libraries out there, but I'm not ready to spend that kind of $ yet. And I also understand that these are only tools that need some skill in the craftsman to get the good sounds.

Does anyone use these libraries, or something similar in that $200 or less price range? Any examples or tips you can share would be most helpful!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: orchestral sample libraries

Post by Len911 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:51 pm

What about the other Miraslov for $149?? You're still under $200, and I would think you might be getting more orchestral articulations?? I don't know.

You could also maybe supplement the strings or brass with something like an $79.95 Sonivox String or Brass ensemble dvi.
http://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/s ... le-strings

These are ensembles, no solo, and only 2 velocity layers deep. You're going to have a few ensemble articulations options, such as legato and pizzicato, fast, slow, ... But in no way complete.

One tip is to use velocity instead of volume when using them. Volume will only make louder or softer one velocity sample, so to use the correct sample, you need to input a velocity value to select or trigger the correct sample. In the sonivox for example you only get 2 velocity samples, in a more complete set you might get 12 or 20 or so. ;)
That makes the sonivox a little more expensive.

Hope that helps.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Hey Slyjoe,
I think right now, by far, the best bang for the buck is East West Hollywood Strings Silver Edition. It's $99 right now by download only!! It's the same samples as the Gold Edition, but only has the basic articulations (like 13 of them), but that's way more than you'll get with any other cheap string library.
For instance, the full Komplete VSL strings in Kontakt 5 has only about 6.
Like I said, it's the same samples as the Gold, both in 16 bit (Diamond Edition is 24 bit), but these strings are some of the best out
there...outdone only by something like LA Scoring Strings, 8Dio's adagio strings, or the Diamond Edition
of Hollywood Strings.
I have no idea how big the download is, but it's probably pretty big, so you'll need a good internet speed if you got it!! I'm on Windstream DSL that's slow as
can be.....the only thing that has kept me from buying these strings!
These would be great for adding body to many types of genres.
The Silver Editions of Hollywood Brass, and Hollywood Woodwinds are only $99
too.......big time steal if you ask me!!
Here's the link
http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Strings
Go to the bottom of the page and you can check out the articulations PDF

Hope this helps
Cheers'
Steve
Worse, how can it be worse...Jehova Jehova Jehova

slyjoe

Post by slyjoe » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:50 am

Thanks 2lane and Len911. I'm leaning towards the Miroslav bundle currently. I want something with a more complete orchestral representation, not only strings. And I enjoy some of IK Multimedia's other offerings.

The Hollywood strings/brass/woodwinds do sound amazing as well.

I am still open to other suggestions. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mobster85 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 am

Hi Slyjoe, I have the Miroslav bundle and any time I post something with strings or horns the people of the forum tell me they do not sound real. I'm thinking about going with East West myself for that mere reason. Good luck.

Peace,
Bob LoGrasso

www.taxi.com/boblograsso

slyjoe

Post by slyjoe » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks for the tip Mobster Bob. Do you have any links to what you've done with Miroslav?

I really liked the sound of these demos: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/ph ... onik-audio

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 pm

You should consider what you want to do with the strings first, as the libraries lend themselves to different uses. Some are better in a pop/rock context, some will sound better in a movie trailer, some are meant for orchestral mockups and then some are targeted educational uses. There's no pair of shoes for all sizes, I'm afraid.

So what are you looking to do?
Ceo of my own life

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:27 pm

I would highly recommend getting the full version of Kontakt. It comes with a very good starter pack of orchestral instruments - many from VSL and has other samples as well. Plus, as you get better with the orchestral samples, you can upgrade to LASS or spitfire audio or a number of other great libraries that require he full version of Kontakt.

It's a great solution and you won't outgrow it, as third party libraries are plentiful. It's more than your stated budget, but it is a great investment that will grow with you. And you're not limited to just orchestral.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

slyjoe

Post by slyjoe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:38 pm

The thing about the full Kontakt, is I'd be paying for a lot of extra stuff that I don't want/need. I already have great sounding synth/drums/guitar/beeps and bleeps/etc... I only want the orchestral elements, which is why I'm attracted to the Miroslav currently.

I'd like to use the orch elements as supporting layers for intimate vocal songs, as well as possible orchestral instrumentals.

Ideally, the horns could be used to add some funk to R&B/pop-rock tracks as well. But I have yet to hear a realistic demo of that.

I wonder also, if the Hollywood strings/woodwings/brass silver packages, which are sold separately for $99, would work together in the same window, or if each section would have to be done individually on separate tracks.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:26 pm

slyjoe wrote:The thing about the full Kontakt, is I'd be paying for a lot of extra stuff that I don't want/need. I already have great sounding synth/drums/guitar/beeps and bleeps/etc... I only want the orchestral elements, which is why I'm attracted to the Miroslav currently.

I'd like to use the orch elements as supporting layers for intimate vocal songs, as well as possible orchestral instrumentals.

Ideally, the horns could be used to add some funk to R&B/pop-rock tracks as well. But I have yet to hear a realistic demo of that.

I wonder also, if the Hollywood strings/woodwings/brass silver packages, which are sold separately for $99, would work together in the same window, or if each section would have to be done individually on separate tracks.
I forgot about these:
http://pro.magix.com/en/independence-in ... .1021.html

The orchestral were developed by Kirk Hunter for Independence, probably not as in depth as his usual Kontakt dependent sample sets, however the Independence sampler comes in a free version and the full Kontakt sampler which the Kontakt samples need isn't.
The Saxophone and Brass package might be more what you're looking for, for the funk articulations?

You may have to mix and match to find what you are looking for within your budget, rather than relying on one complete package, especially if you want other than symphonic articulations.

* The info about multitimbral I had posted here was incorrect! I deleted it.
Last edited by Len911 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music