Mavericks?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Mavericks?

Post by elser » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:20 pm

It's been out for awhile now. I know there was an earlier thread on it, but wondering what peoples experience with it is now. Of course especially regarding VI compatability.

It's good? Yes? Maybe so, maybe no?

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Mavericks?

Post by kclements » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Hello.

No problems here. Been running Mavericks for quite some time now and really like it.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks KC

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:49 am

I have heard it can break some of your really old plugins, so you may want to check that out. All of my plugins are current and have 64 bit versions. If you have a plug that you can't live without, and it hasn't been updated to 64 bit, you should wait, or find a replacement.

Otherwise, you should be good to go. I'm using Logic Pro X, so maybe I'm having good luck being in the whole Apple ecosystem. But very few problems ( more like annoyances, really) here.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Yea, I'm still on Logic 9 and everything is 32 bit. I'm very sluggish about upgrades, been burned too many times. But I'll bet what you're doing is the way to go for the future.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:12 am

Hey Jon, are you running Pro Tools? If so, Mavericks won't run anything under the newest version (Pro Tools 11). And when you upgrade to Pro Tools 11, you'll lose all of your old synths and virtual instruments unless they've upgraded to 64bit AAX format. It's a bit of a vicious circle, but once you get everything squared away and updated and have purchased any necessary upgrades, it's pretty smooth.

~~Matt

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi Matt, nope no Pro tools for me, I've been able meet all my needs with Logic. And a few zillion plugins.

lucis
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by lucis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi Elser,

i was just 'forced' by a failure of my (SATA 2 cable on my) MBP to buy a second hand machine running OSX Mavericks and had to migrate my Logic Pro 9.1.8 software and almost 3 years worth of tracks from the old machine running OSX.6.8 .

IF YOUR ARE RUNNING THE SAME or EARLIER VERSION OF LOGIC PRO 9....then....You will need to go to Support.apple.com and be sure to download the Logic Pro 9.1.8 update files and restart your machine. This should stabilise your Logic Pro 9 on the Mavericks platform. (Without this update, Initially Mavericks was mis-identifying the version of Logic Pro and would not even launch and load the program !).

Lucis.

p.s. the failure of my internal SATA connector....made it appear that I had a crashed Hard Drive...the replacement cost of one compared to the other may be as significant to your wallet as it was to mine if you too are operating on a shoestring....a SATA connector is like $10-20 while a HD is a good few bucks more...and won't work /or the system all run slower until the SATA fails completely ! FYI. Of course the silver lining to my discovery about SATA cables is that I now have two MBP's ( i got the newer one for 300 euro on ebay !! yes ! 8-) . Now I have one totally dedicated to my music making !!! :P :D ;)

This is my experience and I hope some of this has been useful to you.

best to you