with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Computer and recording setup...a little assistance required

Post by denalihighway » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:25 am

Hi all,

OK so this is one for the computer geeks, which I mean in the bets possible way – because boy do I wish I was one of them. its always been something in the background for me, but I'm realising now that as an independent musician I need to be computer savvy.

I need to do something drastic about my setup and it has me a bit flummoxed to say the least.

So this is my setup.

Main computer – there’s two hard disks

Desktop PC running:
Windows7 64-bit.
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200. 2.21GHz
3 GB RAM

The two hard-disks:
One with 232GB of memory
Other with 189GB of memory

What loads up in startup is SATA1 which is “Maxtor 6L200M0”. There is also SATA 3: “ST3250620AS”. I accidentally switched these once, SATA3 booted up with Windows XP, which caused your narrator to curse a few times and then switch back to SATA1.

Does this mean SATA1 is master and SATA 3 is slave or what?

When I boot the other option, Windows XP runs but is password protected and i can't get the password at the moment, the guy i bought the computer from is off the grid at present. (he's a musician not a criminal just in case you're wondering :) )

Apart from memory / processing issues, a big problem with all this seems to be…its all offline…I download software and updates on an old laptop and transfer everything over.

It seemed a pretty good idea when I bought the computer. Keep it offline, clean from internet nonsense etc..but in reality its turning into a nightmare when installing software and updates and it just seems crazy in this day and age. Its getting more and more aggravating and time-wasting.

I got a good deal on the computer so I think its worth keeping rather than trying to sell or whatever. I guess I can use it for backups and perhaps look into running some VSTs off of it? - is that possible and where is best to read about it??

Other stuff
DAW: Cubase 6.5
Interface: Motu Audioexpress
Hardware: Presonus Faderport, old keyboard for MIDI (m-Audio Oxygen-88 in the
Post though)
Monitors: Focal CMS50s

I’m in the process of backing up and clearing a load of files off main hard disk of the desktop computer to get it firing properly. i'm thinking I'm going to need more memory and perhaps faster processors. Everything is starting to creak for bigger projects with lots of tracks and VSTs, despite freezing tracks and various other CPU-saving measures.

In your opinion what are my optimal options going forward?

- connecting the desktop to the internet? Is this more hassle than its worth (there is good WIFI in the house)
- buying a high powered laptop for DAW work that can connect easily to WIFI? And keeping the desktop etc for slave purposes etc? (don’t know how to do that of course but will figure it out)

Other options / suggestions on optimal setup and where I can read more?

Are there links to resources that you know that discuss various types of setup and their pros and cons?

Christ so many questions…as you can tell IT has never been my strongpoint but doing music is forcing me into it. I used to be much worse! :shock:

As always, your input is invaluable and highly appreciated , I hope I’ve given you enough info to work with…happy to answer all related questions as I’m sure I’m not making it easy. Sorry bout the verbal diarrhea. I feel like I've just thrown a bomb down a toilet and run away... :oops:

I’m pretty petrified about all the transferring / reactivating / reinstalling of everything that may happen afterwards but I feel like I should get it all over with sooner rather than later.

thanks
Gar
Attachments
Boot setup.jpg
Boot setup.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
2 hard disks in Windows 7.jpg
2 hard disks in Windows 7.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 3047 times

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Computer and recording setup...a little assistance requi

Post by Len911 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:32 pm

denalihighway wrote:What loads up in startup is SATA1 which is “Maxtor 6L200M0”. There is also SATA 3: “ST3250620AS”. I accidentally switched these once, SATA3 booted up with Windows XP, which caused your narrator to curse a few times and then switch back to SATA1.

Does this mean SATA1 is master and SATA 3 is slave or what?

When I boot the other option, Windows XP runs but is password protected and i can't get the password at the moment, the guy i bought the computer from is off the grid at present. (he's a musician not a criminal just in case you're wondering :) )
thanks
Gar
There is a bios boot menu where you can set your hd boot priorities and set a default startup HD or anything with a bootable program. The bios' boot menu is accessed by pressing the function key that is named on the screen at startup. eg. F10, F12
If it doesn't find a bootable program on the first drive on the list, it will go to the second drive, etc.

You didn't say whether the guy sold you just the computer or what programs he might have sold you. The programs wouldn't be any good if he is still using the programs if any and didn't transfer the licenses. Xp and all the programs there are certainly no use to you without the password.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:39 pm

The memory and processor upgrades depend on the motherboard, like what is the max memory your board can accommodate? Same with the processor.

I looked up your chip and the info I saw was that it was a 939 socket chip. Looking at some 939 mother boards, it seems to be an older design and 4gb of ram max. If that's the case, then you are pretty much maxed already.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:32 pm

To be honest, I know you're not a geek, but the easiest way imo is to spec and build your own PC. You already have windows 7 which will save you about a $100.

The assembling part is a piece of cake. Basically everything plugs in to the MB and power supply. The components are screwed into the case in their appropriate spaces and the case usually comes with a screwdriver and philips and mounting screws. Snap, screw or plug.

The advantages are numerous. You can choose a quiet case with quiet fans, quiet power supply, yada yada. and not buy the things you don't. Newegg is a great place to buy the components.

You can always go online and do your business with upgrades, etc. and then go offline. I've never had any problems before, but I don't play games or visit sites that seem questionable. I don't really know how people get all that malware.

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Hey Len thanks for the replies and assistance,

I don't quite understand what you're asking about the programs and transferring the licenses etc - if you mean did he actually give me the program discs etc then no - I just picked up where he left off basically - he deleted his personal stuff, left on some VSTs etc, most of which I don't use and deleted. Some I've used from time to time.

What can my motherboard hold? - I'm not sure - would I have to open her up to find out?

Spec-ing and building my own sounds very interesting. As long as it wouldn't be cost-prohibitive and I'd be worried about the amount of downtime should my ham-fisted attempts go south...

I have some serious googling to do...are you aware of any good online resourced etc?

Some basic / annoying questions for you:

In the interim, to improve the PCs DAW / recording efficiency what are the best things to do?

- would it make sense or is it possible to run/save future cubase projects on the other hard disk (the other one has about 150GB of its 190GB free) and then have VSTs etc running off the main one (which I'm trying to clear as much as possible at the moment - backing up and deleting older projects and audio files etc)

thanks again
Gar

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:27 pm

- also, if it's not too much trouble, could you suggest some minimum tech specs regarding RAM, processing and hard disks that I should consider if I'm looking to invest in something powerful that will cater for big projects and large numbers of VSTs etc?

EDIT: found this article. Its a couple o years old but seems like a good place to start:
http://www.filmandgamecomposers.com/gui ... duction-pc

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Gar, there are so many options and strategies. Newegg, has been where I've bought all my computer stuff, I've built 2 for convenience and price mainly. They have many tutorials, customer reviews on the products.

You can always google product reviews or go to the mfg. websites if you have more questions on something you find.

Some questions are 1) case size, that will determine what form factor of motherboard you will need. 2)processor, that will narrow the motherboards down as to which ones will fit, or socket, and of course intel or AMD. 3) you select the motherboard on how much memory slots, how many usb ports, how many and what kind of connectors it has for your peripherals, hd etc. 4)power supply by how many watts you will need, enough for expansion?, how many power cables for components, if quietness is a requirement...
If you do live recording, quietness might be a priority, if all is in the box, not so much.

It takes maybe an afternoon to assemble, the most "problems" might be software,lol!

http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Hardware/Store

Let me see what I can come up with using a strategy of something to meet your needs while keeping a low price point.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:12 pm

I did a little looking around, and if you kept everything the same, and upgraded the motherboard, processor and ram,

~$99 cpu AMD A8-5600k Quad Core fm2 socket
~$136 mb- asus ATX form factor
~ Ram 1x8gb=$75, 2x8gb=$150, 4x8gb=$300

~$386 for chip, mobo, and 16GB Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819113281

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131882

the motherboard has integrated graphics, no need for a graphics card, also I didn't spec any open box items.
also whatever monitor you have should plug in directly, d-sub+dvi+hdmi. The mb supports 64GB max, but it only has 4 slots and I didn't see any 1x16GB Ram, just 8GB, so that would be a practical 32GB max.

It's also possible to go with a less expensive chip. The memory price is going to run about the same, no matter what, and is also the most expensive item, the chips and mb's might trim an additional $60-$80 off the total price,
though it may be a steep drop in performance/price ratio.

So for ~$386-$536 16GB or 32GB ram, it's a good way maybe to upgrade as you go. Maybe the next upgrade might be a new case with powersupply, another upgrade might be a new ssd or hard drives. It's probably most important to buy the ram all at once to get it to match, difficult later to match mfg. and voltages.

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:48 am

Thank you so much for this Len. I did a bit of well overdue peeking under the hood this morning. Cleaned a serious amount of gunk out of fans etc. Very rewarding and interesting - I'm not freaked out about going the DIY route anymore at least. Last night I had read about specs etc and had come to a similar conclusion to you before I read your post. I like the sound of upgrading CPU, RAM and MOBO.

The stuff I have at the moment is:

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200. 2.21GHz
The two hard-disks:
1) Maxtor Diamondmax 10, 200GB, SATA150 HDD
2) Seagate Barracuda 7200-10, 250GB

Power supply: Hiper … ? (pic attached)
Case: Coolmax? (pic attached)

You've already gone way beyond Len but I might just ask a couple of last things:

- from the info you have, what is the size/model I'm restricted to regarding MOBO? I know that's obviously pivotal for fitting the rest in.
- I don't mind spending a bit more where its worth it so should I pony up and go for a decent Intel I7? (I've read its a better option than AMD)
- there's a website I've been recommended over my direction - http://www.hardwareversand.de - wonder if you or anyone else had any thoughts there?

Apart from that I guess I can work with the hard disks I have, and clear the clutter off and improve the workflow better ,as regards separating VST and audio tasks etc. One of the hard disks is very under utilised, which seems to be just a bad habit I got into, so I'll start migrating DAW and audio stuff over there I think.

Thank you again - are you going to the Road Rally - cuz a couple o pints / glasses / cups of whatever your having is on me...
Attachments
Front of case - ports etc.jpg
Front of case - ports etc.jpg (135.89 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
power supply unit.jpg
power supply unit.jpg (121.26 KiB) Viewed 3018 times

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:28 am

I have a coolermaster case, good case. ?power supply looks good,lol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_form_factor

form factors, I would guess and say ATX, but the wiki gives pictures and measurements. I'm sure it's not a micro xtx.

You must be in Germany or somewhere in Europe, sorry, I thought you were in the states.

I found a review online for the amd chip I listed above and an Intel i5 3470, the review said "to close to call", the price I find for the amd is $120 and for the intel $190, for a difference of $70.

I didn't look up the intel i7

Is it worth it to pony up and buy the i7, imo probably not, however, there's nothing improper about doing it, I'm more of a value oriented type, I personally have an intel chip in my computer, albeit older,lol, and I get by fine, though I don't open multiple vst's at once or a lot of effects etc. I tend to render as I go, and go back and start again if necessary.

For the difference in price, there might be more useful upgrades, vst's, audio effects, maybe because you have cubase you might find this appealing: http://www.logickeyboard.com/shop/stein ... -931s.html
Maybe you would want to buy an ssd for your operating system and daw?? Just saying..

there's always somethin' :o

that's my pov anyway, there are so many choices and priorities there isn't any one way, just a general direction!