Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Midi Chords

Post by TheElement » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:42 am

Len911 wrote:

actually the other product, the harmonizer would be closer to what you are looking for.

or this: http://www.xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu

or even the Korg Nano pad. you can program one pad to play all the keys in a chord at the same time.

Another method is that you can make midi files of the chords yourself.

or- http://www.prosonic-studios.com/midi-ch ... hythm#prod
Yeah I think midi chord progressions is really what I'm after. Pop and dance progressions. Being lazy and a minimalist..as usual..thats me! :shock: lol
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:28 am

TheElement wrote:Being lazy and a minimalist..as usual..thats me! :shock: lol
Nope. Whatever tools are helpful to move the music out of your head and into the listening space of the world: use them.

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Cruciform wrote:
TheElement wrote:Being lazy and a minimalist..as usual..thats me! :shock: lol
Nope. Whatever tools are helpful to move the music out of your head and into the listening space of the world: use them.
True. I really like the idea of some of the samples now coming with midi files. I think thats great. When I do use a sample sometimes I'm stuck using the sample which started off a production and then when I want to change or tweak it I get stuck. Maybe I just need to learn more about working with wav's.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:03 am

On the topic of chord progressions, I only began learning about them about a year ago, and this site helped a lot.

hooktheory.com

If you choose to, learn the chords as you go and as you need them. You don't need all of them at once.

On another note, loving the attitude of the members here. I think most forums would snob it out, telling you to get off your ass and learn to play some chords. Instead, tools are suggested, "do whatever you need to do" attitude encouraged. Love it!

edit:
holy smokes, those 2 7Alien products are insane, especially the arp!!!

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks for that link. will check it out. 8-) Yeah Owen I was just thinking that. But this shows that there are real writers and professionals on here. I do know chords and progressions but only on guitar. Played in cover bands for years. I actually found out when I started producing that using the guitar to write wasn't going to work for me. The midi keyboard worked for the writing. The writing comes first for me. I dont need to show off my guitar skills. the song is the star not me.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:44 am

TheElement wrote:
Len911 wrote:

actually the other product, the harmonizer would be closer to what you are looking for.

or this: http://www.xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu

or even the Korg Nano pad. you can program one pad to play all the keys in a chord at the same time.

Another method is that you can make midi files of the chords yourself.

or- http://www.prosonic-studios.com/midi-ch ... hythm#prod
Yeah I think midi chord progressions is really what I'm after. Pop and dance progressions. Being lazy and a minimalist..as usual..thats me! :shock: lol
There are chord progressions and stabs in Catanya, and you can even program them the way you want, both the notes and the rhythm, and save the presets. Calling it an arpeggiator is really underselling it. It's actually a great tool for what you are looking to do. I'm a guitar player and have used it for exactly the same thing. It's the only plug-in I regret I couldn't couldn't use anymore after switching platform from PC to MAC. Now I use EZ Keys, and it's great, but takes more work than Catanya to mingle the way I want.

Just saying.
Ceo of my own life

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:27 am

Magne,

Keep an eye on Squareheads Nora. I think they will be developing a Mac version soon. It's the same concept as Catanya but more features. For example, Catanya only works on 3 notes per register across 3 registers. Nora can work with 5 notes on each of 5 registers. You can also change time signature and adjust per note velocity.

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:35 am

thanks for those links. I had a quick look but really need to sit down and have a better look at them. They seem complicated to me. My head spins easily. I'm a minimalist. even my new midi keyboard is very small and simple now. switched from a Samson Graphite 25 to a Akai LPK25 :D

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 am

Cruciform wrote:Magne,

Keep an eye on Squareheads Nora. I think they will be developing a Mac version soon. It's the same concept as Catanya but more features. For example, Catanya only works on 3 notes per register across 3 registers. Nora can work with 5 notes on each of 5 registers. You can also change time signature and adjust per note velocity.
Oh great, I will definitely check that out, Rob! If it's anything like Catanya, and even better, it's a nobrainer.
Ceo of my own life