We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Convincing Appalachia?

Post by AlpacaRoom » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm not really a banjo player, although I've owned one for more than a decade now, but the bug bit me when I saw the listing below. Thinking about submitting (a cleaned-up version of) this song, but I'm wondering if it's "authentic" enough--meaning that it sounds like "real" mountain playing, and a "real" mountain tune.

Obviously I need to clean up my playing and the timing (and I'm thinking I'll back off to 95-100bpm instead of ~110bpm where this sits), but assuming I can manage that ... does it pass? Thanks for listening.

The tune: At the Old Sawmill

The listing:
SOLO BANJO INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a successful Production Music Library that has a very long list of really good Film and TV placements. They're on the hunt for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Banjo Instrumentals that sound like they're plucked straight from the Appalachian Mountains. This request is for SOLO Banjo only. They don't want anything with additional instrumentation or ambient sounds. Your submissions should deliver a Claw-Hammer Banjo sound that can instantly give that rural, backwoods vibe to an establishing shot in a Film or TV show. Do NOT submit anything that sounds stiff or MIDI-driven. Real Banjos only, please!
Thanks!

-Nick

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Convincing Appalachia?

Post by cassmcentee » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Nick, I really like it! :D
I listened before I read your post
I sorta agree on the bpm...
but not much, I just think you need to incorporate pauses into the theme (2 cents)
As far as cleanup, the authenticity was great
Billy Joel says (...don't go changinnnn to try and please me...)
Don't go bleedin' your fingers over it :oops:
Re: the reverb, It would be nice to know what show it is for...
Then you could match what the supervisor seems to like...
I think you have the verb nailed
in my head I wanted to hear it slightly warmer as a comparison to how it is now.
Nice playing!
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AlpacaRoom » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Thanks for the ears, Cass. I'm not going to "sterilize" it, but I made more than a few flubs--I hardly ever play banjo, basically wrote this and laid it right down--that I just can't leave.

I didn't really do much of a mix on it. Just brought up the levels and the tiniest bit of room reverb--most of the "reverb" you're hearing is my new "studio," which is a tiny bedroom with a hardwood floor and plaster walls. It's super-live and sounds much better than it has any right to for a room of such poor dimensions. I recorded with two cheap Chinese condensers in an X-Y pattern from about 2 feet away, which gives just a little bit of real stereo image that I think you're picking up as 'verb.

Thanks again!

-Nick

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:48 pm

nick, this is real nice...love the warm space you created for both the recording and the mix.

i think your a really good banjo player, and you have your own style. and even what you might call a 'clam' here and there sounds more to me like human feel.

your playing in a cool minor/foreboding mode. and yet the tempo/rhythm is upbeat...perfect contrast man!

i can totally hear this in an intense or reflective scene in an appalachian or similar setting.

nice work

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AlpacaRoom » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 am

Ha, I don't know that I'd classify my banjo playing as "really good," "good," or even "competent," but thanks for the compliment :) It's really not an instrument I've spent a whole lot of time with, but this clawhammer thing really resonated with me when I tried to pick it up a few months back. You can hear it in this recording, how the bum-ditty just rolls along like a train that's threatening to run out of control.

The mountain mode is sawmill tuning--"standard" banjo tuning is open G, this raises the major third a half step. I wound up doing a lot of droning on a G5, which I guess gives that is-it-minor-or-major feel.

Anyway, thanks for the listen!

-Nick

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:37 am

Sounds good to me, Nick. But I think slowing it down even by 5 bpm might help clean up some of the playing, as some parts do get a bit muddy in the performance. Be careful of slowing down too much though, as those hammers and pull-off's might lose their cool factor.

I'm in a similar boat... Not much of a banjo player, but I can get by. I'm gonna throw something together soon too. Heck, there can't be too many of us banjo pickers in the TV world, can there? Hopefully the numbers game is in our favor this time around. I'll be crossing my fingers for both of us!

~~Matt

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AlpacaRoom » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:15 am

VanderBoegh wrote:Heck, there can't be too many of us banjo pickers in the TV world, can there? Hopefully the numbers game is in our favor this time around.
Ha, that's exactly what I was thinking. Figuring I can get a clean recording of this tune, may as well toss it in. Thanks for the ears!

-Nick

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:48 am

Nick,

I saw this listing, thought what do I have that I could submit, and then said nothing! I only ever play the banjo when I can hide it behind other instruments! IMO this is definitely on target for the listing. Good luck with it.

John

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Sounds great, Nick! Makes me want to get a banjo!

I'm sure you will get a take you are happy with. :)
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates