Should I bring this up to Michael?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Should I bring this up to Michael?

Post by Piewackit1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:19 am

No Bob I didn't re-mix it yet. On my monitors in my studio the vocals are upfront...I use Event 20/20p...I'm having someone else come in and re-mix the song. It seems everyone says positive things about the song so I'm not going to let it go and hopefully have an opportunity to submit it again.

niallyboy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by niallyboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 pm

All you guys are being way too nice--

The vocals are utterly buried, but check it out: you've done all the hard work, so the tweak is easy.

Niall

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:50 am

sounds great. yes bring up the vocals in the verses. but make them lo fi. that would be real cool. you got a hit. :D

I wouldn't worry about one listing. there will be many others and this song can get lots of placements..
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

bwd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bwd » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Great song! I guess this for a Black Keys listing. If you follow the lyrics in Soundcloud then the vocal level in the verse seems ok but when you look away the lyrics are unclear. Also I had to look again to see what the first line of the chorus was. I agree that the vocals could come up - and maybe add a little more mids to the verse vocals so that they're not quite so detached?

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:40 am

So wouldn't true A&R give you a few hours gratis in which to bring up the vocal, re-bounce and re-submit? Isn't that in everyone's best interests? Sometimes I have to questions these screeners' rôles...

Nick

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Nick,

I don't understand the inside workings of Taxi. I don't know how many submissions they have to sort through for a listing like this. I hear your point , if this song is right and all that is needed is the vocal track to be raised, then why not let me re-submit? I guess if I think about it, it’s a slippery slope…if they did that for everyone's song that was close to a forward it would be a lot more work for them, possibly more than they can handle.

The song did get a forward on another listing…same exact mix.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Piewackit1 wrote:Nick,

I don't understand the inside workings of Taxi. I don't know how many submissions they have to sort through for a listing like this. I hear your point , if this song is right and all that is needed is the vocal track to be raised, then why not let me re-submit? I guess if I think about it, it’s a slippery slope…if they did that for everyone's song that was close to a forward it would be a lot more work for them, possibly more than they can handle.

The song did get a forward on another listing…same exact mix.
If you think about the number of listings, number of members, number of submissions, time and cost of screening/rescreening, deadline with client, etc.... well, I think you'll have a lot of the answer as to why they can't simply do this. Obviously, if every time a track just missed the mark in some way, they let the member re-submit, the cost, time, and effort would be overwhelming.

Since more than one person feels the vocals are too low, I'd say simply remix to bring them up and be armed and ready for the next appropriate listing.

Good luck!
:D Casey