member asking aid for membership survival.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

otey5

member asking aid for membership survival.

Post by otey5 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:11 am

Based on the advice of Amanda Palmer from a TED talk, I am asking as a four year member if anyone can help me afford the next year of Taxi membership. My membership is up in on August 6. My wife has been out of work for 2 years due to health issues. I teach grade school special ed full time and teach martial arts privately in homes and music privately in homes on the side. I was able to swing the 200 for this past year's membership but now cannot. I feel that I am finally at the place of being confident to get past the self-defeating syndrome I've been holding onto, and I have been creating a lot of songs. Currently my recording set up is messed up somehow. I have four friends attempting to fix that problem---speedy play back on recording---and noting regular has worked. At ay rate, if anyone wants to help--I will graciously accept the first offer and not use this as a means of reaping money beyond the need. My email is oteymusic@gmail.com. If I receive an aid I will immediately post such and thank the rest. Thank you for reading.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: member asking aid for membership survival.

Post by elser » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:01 pm

You can't be serious.

otey5

Post by otey5 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Yes, I am. I'm 60 years old and a hopeful man in the pay it forward belief which I myself have done numerous times for others. I simply believe in giving anything a try, believing in giving and receiving. I'm not a con man. It's ok if someone doesn't think this is "right" by their belief. As the old saying goes, "ask and you might receive". So I hope no one takes offense because I'm not asking to take from anyone else. I'm merely asking for help from anyone who understands and has been in this boat before and is able to help without hurting their own conditions. Sincerely, David R. Otey

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:36 pm

It sounds as if you have more serious issues going on in your life.

I would say take a break from music for a while and get the other parts of your life in order. Good luck.

LittleRedChurch
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LittleRedChurch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Just read an article on what retirement nowadays looks like. Ain't as pretty as it once was. No doubt you're going through tough times. You're kinda thinking the one thing that makes it all worth while, is the hope and satisfaction that comes with submitting the occasional song. Sounds reasonable to me... All that said, I'm in no condition to be helping.. While I'm/we are on strike right now, I have a feeling that a LOT of these taxi members have a tough enough time keeping their own memberships renewed. Tis the musician's lot...

I still wish you the best...

Graham

otey5

Post by otey5 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 pm

To little red church response: I like your response. Thank you. The occasional song submitted is far from the only thing that makes it all worthwhile, but, yes, it is nice. And this morning it was nice and a shock to see--fate, timing, manifestation, God's gift, however one chooses to interpret it--that finally I got a song forwarded--a children's song. of course, that's only the first step but it feels good to see.
I have many blessings in my life that keep me growing and going. But, for certain, there are other means of advancing music. Back to your response though--you are a nice and thoughtful person to share a way of thinking and consideration of perspective without trying to read between the lines to think I have serious issues in life. I appreciate that. I wish you good luck, too. Thanks, again.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 am

Wish I was in a position to help you. Best of luck with the renewal.

~~Matt

otey5

Post by otey5 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks, Matt. Just in case anyone wants to know more about me--what kind of person I am--I have free guitar lessons on youtube for beginners--as do a million other people, I know. My site is Dancing Strings Guitar Lessons. I also have a Facebook connection for my martial arts work titled Otey Self-Defense Training.