Does this work as a contemporary s/s type song?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Does this work as a contemporary s/s type song?

Post by johnlewitt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:02 am

Hi All,

Last month I posted a list of criteria I had come up with to make a contemporary singer/songwriter song (you can read the thread here: http://forums.taxi.com/topic128220.html). I got a return on the song saying: John, this is a very cool song but for this edgy series it's not the strongest fit. The vibe lean a little on sweet at times which the supervisor wanted to avoid, and won't work for the hardened characters found on this series. There was no mention of the series being edgy in the listing, but oh well, at least they seemed to like it.

So, I thought I'd post is my 2nd attempt at crafting a similar tune in the mid to down tempo style:

https://soundcloud.com/john-lewitt/soulmate

All comments are welcomed.

Thanks for listening.

John

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Does this work as a contemporary s/s type song?

Post by johnlewitt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:17 pm

I'm going to give myself a bump here - I've never posted anything without a response before so please excuse the selfishness of this act!

Anyone got any thoughts? Good or bad is always welcome. If it doesn't work for you, that's fine by me - the Taxi forum opinion is worth the price of admission.

Thanks,

John

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm

Dear John,

I wish I could help, but as you probably know, I do not have access to SoundCloud anymore.

Any Songs uploaded elsewhere, including our TAXI Pages, ... well, I can have access to ! :) ;)

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:53 pm

johnlewitt wrote:the Taxi forum opinion is worth the price of admission.

Thanks,

John
The TAXI Forum is free, and open to non Members ! Isn't that so great indeed ! :o :D

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:53 am

Hi John I had listened to it already. I don't usually post on returns because I figure the screeners know much more than me.

I only tell em like I hear em.

Your voice has a sweet sound. You ain't gonna change that. And really the song is just warm and nice. (so helpful :roll: )

I can hear it at the end of a movie etc.

I do know you have to hit their criteria right on the head to have a chance?

Keep going bud, your stuff is good'

Sincerely

Paul
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:36 am

Catherine, thanks for trying to listen!

Paul, thanks for your words. Note, that this track wasn't returned, it's new. It's the second tune that I've tried to write in a contemporary singer/songwriter style (i posted another one about a month ago, which was returned). There seem to be a lot of listings for these types of tunes at the moment, so I'm trying to build a library of them.

John

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:36 am

john, it's a fantastic piece of writing and will fit a lot of uses i think.

my only comment, whether the listing mentioned edgy or not, is that you are singing it in a conventional 'tender' style. it's very nice and you do it well, but i think the lyrics and music suggest a more 'plaintive' vocal style. plaintive is not intentionally edgy or dramatic, but something a singer feels from within based on having lived the story in the lyrics...it's not something you can create. it just has to come out of a different part of you. of course, you probably already know this, but if you could find a way to feel/sing it plaintive, that will show up as an 'edge', and then i think your song would jump and grab the listener's attention.

i'm long-winded this morning, coffee's working....great song man!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:09 pm

It's a pretty tune, to me it lands in adult contemporary/singer-songwriter, it also has a bit of a 70's singer/songwriter vibe. If by contemporary you mean more "indie" then I'm not sure it hits the mark. I think it's well done but without knowing more specifically what you're going for it's hard to critique.

Nice work!

eo

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:04 am

Hey, John,

I see your work like I see my own – you can write and sing a damned good song, yet your delivery is more traditional than 'contemporary'. I suffer from the same affliction, and I think it's mostly in the prosody. You have a style of lyrical and vocal delivery that is absolutely recognisable and stylish, and if you ever fancy writing a country song together, let me know.

Nick

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Richard, thanks for the comment. It's a very interesting observation you make. This, in essence, is a story song. I wrote it from a specific perspective - not my life, but someone else's. So it's hard to tap into that lived it effect, even though I'm singing from the first person perspective. I guess I should work more on my 'method acting singing'!

Ethan, the vibe you get is a great reference for me, thanks. And no, I wasn't going for that indie vibe.

Nick, I am trying to broaden my range, but it's damn hard! I've spent too much of my life listening to music that it's almost impossible to shake off my influences. So, given what you said, if we both got together to write a tune perhaps we will negate our traditional influences and come up with something modern! I'm open to it anytime, just send me a PM.

Thanks guys, this is really appreciated.

John