Anybody tried this thing?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Anybody tried this thing?

Post by shoodBworkin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:17 am

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Anybody tried this thing?

Post by TheElement » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:25 am

yes. I use it all the time to master. I signed up for the 4 wav master per month deal.

It works great. I keep the headroom -8-10 db and nothing on master inserts. I select MED intensity.

However sometimes it goes down and doesn't work properly but its up and working most of the time.

Its also very good for reference when you are mixing. I probably upload to LADR 10-15 times before I'm happy with the mix. I think I got OCD! LOL
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 am

I haven't used them, but looking through thier terms agreement, I spotted a couple things:

- You have to use the Business level for any commercial use. So the $30 level. Not that this is badly priced, but I find the website a bit misleading. To me offering high rez WAV files sounds like you're not restricted in your use. But you have to look at the fine print. I'm not saying they are doing anything wrong, you just have to be careful.

And they state that if they discover you are using for commercial use, they can "...(a) automatically upgrade you to the BUSINESS subscription plan and you hereby agree to make all past and future payments applicable under such plan...". So if you have a track you did 2 years ago (maybe the only one you did just to try it out) and it gets picked up on TV, can they bill you for the business plan for the last two years?

Maybe not - I see you can deny further use of the service, but I would be concerned if you are thinking of ever making money on your tracks.

- They say:
you agree to mention LANDR in the credits relating to your commercial activities, whether it is on packaging, a website or otherwise, in the form of “mastered with LANDR.COM” for such credits.
I'm not sure how this would work for library or film music submissions, or anything other than an album release. Maybe you could mention it on your website that tracks for TV have used them - I don't know if that would be enough.

I don't know if it is a bad/good service or not - I'm just saying you should know what you are getting into. I know for me, I click on terms or use all the time without looking/reading all the small print. Just wanted to point out a couple things I saw.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:11 am

I cannot drag my Songs stored at iTune in the Drag Space, ... I am missing something. :o :idea: :?:

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:42 am

HectorRContreras wrote:I cannot drag my Songs stored at iTune in the Drag Space, ... I am missing something. :o :idea: :?:
Try dragging the tracks out of iTunes onto your desktop. It should make a copy of the track. Than try and drag that to the website. That should work.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you dear Kayle. :)

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 pm

It reminds me of those Wave's Signature Series plugins. Or Rob Cherelli's (Sp?) mastering plugin.

If it was me and I wanted a simple mastering solution, I would probably be looking at those, and buy one or several, at least you know who designed it and also not have all the restrictions. I'd be very skeptical of a one size fits all solution myself. Just my 2 cents.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 am

I'm spending $14 per month to send pool reports from an online service. I don't mind paying $30 per month for this LANDR if I had to. If I was found to be in business and that would mean I am making money I dont mind the upgrade. I'm only using LANDR to demo my tracks and get them polished and balanced so I can present them to publishers.

It's a fast and quick service which seems to be working for me at this time. But who knows I might check out Ozone and start using that later. I'm learning instrument and sample selection seems the most important part of getting the cleanest mix possible so you don't have to do tons of EQ. I've come across some professionals who don't even master. Ok well one so far and his stuff sounds amazing. Check Deorro's unmastered stuff out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq1l9I ... jQfogcBDuw
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud