would love your viewpoint on prepping cd's for the rally

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: would love your viewpoint on prepping cd's for the rally

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Every year I bring fewer and fewer CDs... It's much more about building relationships and exchanging business cards. A business card with your web or soundcloud link is what you need the most.

This point gets made on these boards every year. Remember, most of the A&R folks that attend do not want to have to lug piles of CDs home with them. Many CDs handed to them, especially if not expressly requested, end up in their hotel room trash pail.

Yes, bring some CDs... A few for listening panel dropboxes, some in case you really do get a request from an industry person, etc. But focus more on building relationships and being ready with business cards. Make sure the links on your biz card go to what you want folks to hear.

:D Casey

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:04 pm

meant to say earlier, catherine, thanks for the comment on my website, where everything is better organized. maybe that's why i haven't bothered to organize my soundcloud page.

casey (and others), yeah, the cd vs. building relationships...it all weaves together differently for each of us. i try to get my cd's to do double duty since i release them on my label as well and usually sell a few hundred on line. and it sure worked last year, getting a whole cd picked up by a library. i honestly think that was due to its presentation, a slick retail cd with pics/graphics/theme, but totally focused in one instrumental genre with bpm's, image/elaboration/scene suggestions, etc.

i know cd's are 'ancient' in a sense, but some library owners tell me they like cd's because the only time they have to listen to music is in l.a. traffic...and being in their 40's/50's, they like sticking a cd into the car player).

good idea matt on showing the two genres clearly on one cd!

allen
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by allen » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:51 pm

If your crossing paths with a music supervisor at the Rally, make sure that the CD they receive be in a full size case and not a slim line. Your contact information should be on the spine of the CD as it will probably sit on their desk or shelf. I have heard some speak at the Rally saying they will not even keep the CD if it is not in a full size case. If they like what they hear and want to set it aside, you have to make it easy for them to find your CD. Also contact information should also be on the CD itself in case the CD and CD case get separated.

Allen Myers
https://soundcloud.com/allen-myers

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:16 pm

allen wrote:If your crossing paths with a music supervisor at the Rally, make sure that the CD they receive be in a full size case and not a slim line. Your contact information should be on the spine of the CD as it will probably sit on their desk or shelf. I have heard some speak at the Rally saying they will not even keep the CD if it is not in a full size case. If they like what they hear and want to set it aside, you have to make it easy for them to find your CD. Also contact information should also be on the CD itself in case the CD and CD case get separated.

Allen Myers
https://soundcloud.com/allen-myers
Actually, for the **ROAD RALLY**, I'm not sure that's the best advice. Yes, it is true that in the days when you mailed CD's to sups, it was always best to use a full size case with the spine identifying critical info such as style/genre and composer name. Making it easy for the CD to sit on a bookshelf was the important factor. It probably is still true in many situations, but ones whereby the receiver is not "on the road".

At the road rally, many music execs are traveling and living out of a suitcase. Lugging CDs home can be a problem (they get handed quite a few) and many CDs end up in hotel room trash cans. So, in this case, a slim case or even a nicely labeled paper envelope may be a better idea. Heavier and bigger may be problematic. It could be the difference between the CD going home with the exec or not.

This is another reason why making contacts and exchanging business cards is often the best strategy. You can follow up 1-2 weeks later with an email containing your Soundcloud or other website link. Of course, if you are explicitly asked for a CD, be ready. Never force your CDs on folks.

:D Casey