return on u140710ss

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

return on u140710ss

Post by ronnie35 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi I usually just let my returns passs on but I have to bark a little bit on this one screener # 344 I understand the intensity of their job and if they put the wrong song its their head. Here's the listing SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS with MALE vocals are needed by a Top Music Supervisor for an extremely successful TV Show on a Major Cable Network. He’s searching for Down-to-Mid-Tempo Songs in the stylistic wheelhouse of artists like Ryan Bingham, Jason Isbell, Ryan Adams, etc. Pleases check out these songs to hear the general tone, tempo, and vibe that could work for this show. "The Weary Kind" by Ryan Bingham “Traveling Alone" by Jason Isbell "Save Me" by Ryan Adams Songs that are introspective, tough, and lonely could all work for this show. Give them acoustic- based, earthy, and organic sounding songs with a gritty, gravely, sincere vocal performance. The Music Supervisor needs songs with more of an Alt/Country, Americana spirit, rather than a polished, commercial Top 40 sound. Your songs should relate to the tough and rugged characters typically found on shows like Sons Of Anarchy, Justified, Breaking Bad, etc. Please do NOT submit anything sweet, sappy, or light for this pitch. Quoting the source: “We're looking for the kind of attitude and lyrics that relates to our show’s characters. These are hard, mean characters, but somewhere deep down inside, underneath their tough exteriors, there lies a heart.” Universal Lyrics are needed. Please avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, etc. Lyric themes about being free, regret, guns, money, heartache, family, love, loss, etc., could all work well for this show and its characters. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists in any way, shape, or form. The estimated license fee for this use is $1,000 - $3,000. This is a Direct-to-Music Supervisor pitch, so you'll keep 100% of your Master and Publishing rights, plus you'll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control 100% of the Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. All Songs will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a person hand picked by the Music Supervisor. No full critiques. Please submit 1-3 Songs no later than THURSDAY, July 10th, 2014 by 4pm (PDT). TAXI #U140710SS THE song is called on the other side of love song # 19 on my soundcloud http://www.soundcloud.com/777rd heres what the screener said Ron, thanks for submitting On the other side of love. The supervisor is looking for songs that would work for tough shows like, Sons Of Anarchy, Justified, and Breaking Bad." The supervisor also asked for songs with attitude that are in the same ALT/country / Singer songwriter style of the referenced artists. This song is not the strongest fit for that criteria. Ok i did listen to an example odf season 5 sons of anarchy the song was called the day is gone Noah Gunderson. I believe that The song I sent in has the same quality but naturally a different topic. :? Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: return on u140710ss

Post by eeoo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 am

Hey Ron - I think the song itself has the right vibe, what detracts from it's potential to me is the sound of the recording. The guitar sounds very direct, i don't hear any "room" at all and the vocal has very little ambience as well. I think it would sound stronger if you mic'ed the guitar in the same space you sang the vocal in so it sounds more organic. I can't think of any examples of a commercial recording that uses a direct signal from an acoustic guitar as it's foundation. I think the tune has potential though.

eo

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by SteveJCurtis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 am

Hi Ron.
I'm with EO on that regarding the acoustic.
One thing that occured to me also was the great intro to the solo. It really grabbed my attention, but there seems to be a couple of notes in the solo that are just a little bit sour tuning wise. Also, have you thought about bringing something like an acoustic bass and light drums in later to build the arrangement?
Just my 2 cents and good luck with the track.
Best / Steve

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks guys I appreciate the help

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Ron,

The screener said 'this song'. Which can be very specific or general depending on how you look at it. To me the song as written and the the performance or on target. The mixing/recording quality is what I would return 'this song' on. Hope that helps.

John

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks John I whole heartedly agree the song was written when I first set up logic so the recording is old. It needs updating guitars not direct but miked etc.. I guess when u rush, things don't plan out :oops:

Ron

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Ron,

It's a fantastic song. I think it's on target for the listing but I'm forced to agree with the other Taxi members...the recording is not great. It sounds like the the vocals and instruments belong in different songs(sound wise, not vibe). Mic the acoustic...it sounds like you just plugged it into your board with no DI Box.

It's worth a fix...good tune.

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:53 am

Yep, what they said.

Good song. Redo the guitar and it'll be nice.

Nick

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:54 pm

thanks so much for the help Guys
Ron