From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 2014 Rally Here I Come

Post by TheElement » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 pm

wow thanks guys.

Thats a loooooooooong wait! :shock: I guess i can take some food with me..
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Really, though, that long wait is only if you wanna make sure you get a one-on-one mentoring session with that special mentor... (Taxi posts the mentor list ahead of time so you can make your plans about who you'd like to sit with)

If waiting for hours for the opportunity to sit for 15 minutes while an industry pro listens to your CD and gives you first impression advice is important to you, then go for it...

For me, that one-on-one mentor session was very "assembly-line" and impersonal. (sorry, ML, I call it like I see it.) A real mentor session should be a meaningful two-way conversation that lasts much longer than 15 minutes, and has more "meat" than a custom critique...

But now I'm thinking...

hmmm..... maybe I WILL stand in line... sign up for a mentor session... sit down at my scheduled time... NOT hand over a CD... look them in the eye and say... "so... what about YOU."

I'll betcha the feedback from that would be priceless.

rl
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Geir
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Geir » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:19 am

Russell,

I really like your suggestion.
I'll join you in the line just to see the look on that mentor's face. That would really be something!
I totally agree on your impersonal assembly-line description. It reminds me of army recruits standing in line to get their shots.
15 minutes - and always running late and looking at the clock - is not good for anybody's nerves, including the mentor.

See you at The Rally, in the line or not ...

Geir

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:45 am

I can see your point, Russell, but there are only so many hours in the day and I understand wanting to get as many people a chance to see a mentor as possible. Yes, it can be hectic. But my first mentor session was very encouraging. Just what I needed to hear as a first year member. even though it was 15 minutes.

There are also the Drive By sessions - which I prefer now that I have been to a number of Rallys. There is usually a line to get in, but it isn't as crazy as the mentor sessions.

But I will say it again, the best part of being in that line for me the first year is the friendships I made. Two of the people (more actually) I stood in line with are two of my best friends today. And they have both helped me grow immensely as a composer and introduced me to so many other really great friends. The networking/friendship angle is not one to be taken lightly. It is a great time to meet people!

As for food and um, "coffee" breaks. You get to know the people in line and they save your place, as it were. So we would all get take turns and walk about, stretch out legs, get a bite to eat, bring something back for the rest.... It's not a cut throat occasion. If you get your place in line and keep it, people at cool about you roaming around. I don't think anyone expects you to stand there without moving or eating for 12 hours.

kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks for that info Russell and KC. Much appreciated. Now I'm thinking maybe I get some lunch first and then see how the line is. If I get to see the mentor I want thats great. if not no sweat.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

johncolumbo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johncolumbo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:13 am

Hey Guys... I'm so excited to be coming to my second rally this year! I'll be bringing along my wife and 2 month old son (new adventures indeed) and staying with family about 20m away this time. Can't wait!

I'll probably miss the waiting in line on Thursday this year just because of logistics :cry: ... Last year was my first time and I wasn't sure what to expect, but got to the Westin around 11am and figured I'd go catch some lunch, but got in line instead and ended up just starving myself until like 8pm for the sake of waiting and making friendships, oh it was awesome! The one on one mentor time was very encouraging for me, but like KC said, the waiting in line and developing the relationships was the real great part. Like KC, I now have a friend for life and fellow cowriter who has been very encouraging to me throughout this past year and I can't wait to see him again at this year's rally. I am forever grateful for this family Michael L. and his crew has created for us.

See you guys there!
John
John Columbo
http://johncolumbo.com
http://www.taxi.com/johncolumbo
http://soundcloud.com/johncolumbo
It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish. JRR Tolkien

heleneaj

Post by heleneaj » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:50 pm

First time there! Looking forward to it : ) Booked my flights etc this week

coolhouse912
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by coolhouse912 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:11 pm

My first year I got in line about 9a.m. Made some great friends.

Before registration started, the line was out to the garage. (That was a record year for attendance though.)
Michael Jones
ImageImage

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:59 pm

For the people that made great friends in the queue (read 'line' Americans :) )...

...on a scale of 1-10, how do they rate compared to the friends you made during the rest of the Rally?

Nah...I'm kidding :D . But lord that is a long wait. I'm looking for excuses not to be in that line at the moment. That's half true. I'll wait and see what the mentor list is like. If my dream mentor is on it perhaps it'll be worth it. But I know others who have waited round on the thursday until the queue gets manageable, then nipped in to registration. That might be better.

I've heard mixed reports about the mentor sessions like everyone else.

Getting very close now. Exciting stuff.