Control surface recommendations?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Control surface recommendations?

Post by kclements » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:30 am

I used TouchOSC for a while, but I found it a bit hard to set up and use. Lemur just kinds if fits the way I work. I also use the Logic Cibtrol app from Apple that works well but doesn't do CC messages.

Cheer
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, lots of options. I'm definitely thinking the Behringer is way overboard for what I need now. Good call.

I do have an older iPad. The iPad stuff looks very interesting to me, but it doesn't look like the Proremote works with windows OS, at least not as of yet. I'm kind of leaning toward the Korg Nano, just because it would be kind of nice to have the real fader feel. However, with the Neyrinck V-Control Pro app, you can bring up any window of your DAW. Wow. That would be really cool to tweak your plugin settings on the iPad. Unfortunately, I do have one of the earlier iPads, so I'll have to check and see if you need the current iPad software version . Thanks everyone...I'm getting closer. :D

Seth
Seth Littlefield
http://www.SethLittlefield.com
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

"We seek not rest but transformation.
We are dancing through each other as doorways."
-Marge Piercy

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:54 pm

I just got one of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... MgodQRIA6w

I'm using it as a midi controller but you can set it up to do basic mixing chores in PT as well. Nice feeling keyboard that comes with something like 5000 nice sounding Aruria patches modelled after classic synths of yore. I've been diggin' it!

eo

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Nice Ethan, I'd jump on it if I didn't already have 1 too many keyboards. :D Side note: I just bought a keetar recently, for a Devo(ish) tribute band set. Don't ask. ;)

It turns out my iPad should be good to go. So I think I'm going to head down that road. I do have another question though...

Currently I have been leaving my DAW PC offline and only connecting via ethernet when I need to update/buy stuff. So I'll have to pick up a wireless card for it. Any advice out there? I'd be looking for something that I could obviously use my iPad and PC to interact with. Are there any known issues using PT 11 while having wireless on (I thought I had read that somewhere, awhile back)? Also is there anything I should be aware of to help limit any latency with the iPad/DAW connection?

Thanks again everyone...much, MUCH appreciated.

Seth
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 pm

sethlit wrote:Nice Ethan, I'd jump on it if I didn't already have 1 too many keyboards. :D Side note: I just bought a keetar recently, for a Devo(ish) tribute band set. Don't ask. ;)

It turns out my iPad should be good to go. So I think I'm going to head down that road. I do have another question though...

Currently I have been leaving my DAW PC offline and only connecting via ethernet when I need to update/buy stuff. So I'll have to pick up a wireless card for it. Any advice out there? I'd be looking for something that I could obviously use my iPad and PC to interact with. Are there any known issues using PT 11 while having wireless on (I thought I had read that somewhere, awhile back)? Also is there anything I should be aware of to help limit any latency with the iPad/DAW connection?

Thanks again everyone...much, MUCH appreciated.

Seth
if you can connect the PC via ethernet and you have a wireless router anyways - then you should be good. My mac is wired into my router, and all the other stuff is wireless in the house and works on the same network.

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 pm

Andy, good thought. I failed to mention though that I am currently using my only ethernet jack to connect another PC via Vienna Ensemble Pro. Do you think a wireless card would add too much latency? Maybe another ethernet card would be the way to go.

Seth
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:11 pm

sethlit wrote:Andy, good thought. I failed to mention though that I am currently using my only ethernet jack to connect another PC via Vienna Ensemble Pro. Do you think a wireless card would add too much latency? Maybe another ethernet card would be the way to go.

Seth
If you have to buy a card anyways, might as well get a wired one. they are likely cheaper (i.e. dirt cheap).

I wouldn't imagine a wireless connection would cause much latency anyways though.