How many forwards typical before pay off

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nextphase

How many forwards typical before pay off

Post by nextphase » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to taxi - joined in late February.

I make my living playing music, so, this is not a hobby, but an attempt to make money. I see taxi as a way to make a change in
my career, in that I want to get into composing for tv, film, etc.

I've had 8 forwards, and a lot of returns. At this point, I've not been contacted by any of the companies that my music has been forwarded to.
When I look at the time invested, versus the money earned ( zero at this point ), it's not looking like a good investment. Yes, I know, it takes time but, what has been your experience as far as 1) how long from forward until hearing from company? 2) how many forwards before any response? Obviously it's not the same for everybody, but some idea of common would be nice.

Thanks!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How many forwards typical before pay off

Post by eeoo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Taxi veterans talk about a 5 year plan, even to the point where there is a class offered at the Rally called, you guessed it, the 5 year plan. To my knowledge there is no "average" timeline. I don't know how long it took for mreto be contacted from a library after a forward but as with everything in this biz it can take years to see any action. You can look up 5 year plan on this forum and find plenty of info. You can also have a look at Matt Hirt's videos on his experience in the biz, very informative and well worth the time, I think you can find them on youtube.

eo

nextphase

Post by nextphase » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for the reply eo.

Yes, I've heard mention of the 5 year thing, and I've seen some of Matt's video's

A bit frustrating to spend so much time on so many tracks, and finally get a string of forwards, but no response. Are they really looking for this stuff? We're in a bit of a tough position, in that a library owner can post just about anything they think the may have a need for, have a bunch of folks spend hours working on it, and probably most of them won't get used.

Just a bit surprising I've not been contacted by a single company after 8 forwards. Surprising for me, anyway.

I'm definitely going to need to see some pay-off, well before 5 years, like in the next few months, to keep this up. By that I mean someone contact me, and get some placements. Of course, I know it takes time to see the royalties, as I've had things placed outside of taxi prior to this.

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Congratulations on your forwards! I'm a business owner. I don't think this is a good business to be in if you want to make money. After that 5 year plan I heard successful writers make like 30K-60K per year? I've been producing music since January. Just had 1 forward. I don't do it for the money really. More for the love of creating music. Creating something new and sharing it with the world. I love that. Every sound I hear when writing excites me.

I would give it a little longer. You had forwards so your songs are up to the quality they are looking for. Just keep submitting them. The more you submit the closer you get to placements.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:45 pm

If you just joined up in February - about six months ago - and have already had 8 forwards, then you're doing good.

If you just joined in February and are already thinking of quitting because you haven't had "success", then you're not going to make it in this long-haul game.

See the glass as half-full rather than half-empty. You're doing great, as the forwards show. Be patient and have heart that things pay off if given enough time. Check out the very first thread of the "Success Stories" area and you'll find all sorts of experiences members have had in regards to timelines from submission to forward to deal to placement. Although some people get placements on TV shows very quickly, most of us take years. And then, your ASCAP royalties won't arrive until 6 months after the initial TV air date. If you want instant results, then you'll leave here disappointed... But if you are willing to commit more years to this profession, you'll be a very happy person when things finally begin to pay off.

~~Matt

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:45 pm

I will never get out what I put in, but I am going to do it anyway. Such as life.

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:42 am

DesireInspires wrote:I will never get out what I put in, but I am going to do it anyway. Such as life.
This nails the puppy right to the wall. Can't be no more succinct or correct than that. And it comes from someone who has had many placements.
Personally Nextphase, I think you should keep going with your membership, but only you can decide if it's feasible and worth it.
Best of luck, whichever way you go :D

Steve
Worse, how can it be worse...Jehova Jehova Jehova

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:26 am

Congratulations on so many forwards. You are doing great! Just keep at it and the dominoes will fall.

BTW, welcome to the forums. :D

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:07 am

nextphase wrote:I'm definitely going to need to see some pay-off, well before 5 years, like in the next few months, to keep this up. By that I mean someone contact me, and get some placements. Of course, I know it takes time to see the royalties, as I've had things placed outside of taxi prior to this.
Hi & Welcome to the forum. :D

The reality of this business of film/TV music is (with rare exception) there is no short term financial payoff and that has nothing to do with Taxi. Getting financially in the black requires years of creating quality tracks and getting them placed in good libraries. You need quite a few tracks out there working for you and that does take years.

If you got into film/TV music for short term gain, you really need to either let it go or decide if you can adapt to a long term approach. Only YOU know what is best for you.

If you stick with it, I'd suggest you keep plugging away, writing and submitting for Taxi listings. It is a great way to stay on top of what's currently in demand and even 1-2 contacts can mean a lot. In parallel to that, research the music library world out there and make as many connections as you can on your own. It's all about lots of good tracks in a variety of music libraries.

Also, try to submit to as many MUSIC LIBRARY Taxi listings as you can and not just the direct to supervisor ones. Make sure you have a good mix as far as the types of submissions.

Oh, if you can, attend the Taxi Road Rally. :)

Best of Luck!
:D Casey

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:38 pm

this is definitely one of the most frequent topics that pops up on the forum - the financial basis for using an A&R type company (like TAXI) to get your music heard and placed.

you've got a lot of advice so far - basically that you should keep on keeping on. I agree with that, and I also agree that only you can make the decision when to pull the plug.

but....I also think that you need to view your music as a business. And its unheard of for a business to exist without expenses - gear (guitars and DAW / computer / Samples), personnel (your own time, contract Vocalists / instrumentalists, producers, mixers, mastering engineers etc.) and marketing (TAXI or your preferred A&R company(s), postage, CD dup costs if submitting yourself to various entities, website costs, soundcloud, business meetings / meals, conventions such as TAXI road rally).

as some people say - reduce your expenditures to nothing, and deal with the results......or play a big game and see what happens when you inject some life into the three areas above.

I think you are tending towards the big game cause you chose TAXI, you are hedging your bets by using a few different angles.

BTW - going to the Road Rally might completely change your view of TAXI and the industry in general, cause if you live in a small town currently with little access to LA or NYC and the related ad agencies, music supers, libraries, production houses - you will see that going to the Rally and getting face time with people fills in a large blank in the otherwise "faceless" submit music on a website and hope.

just blowing smoke here, but there are a lot of angles to consider.