2 Deals for same song. How does that work?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

2 Deals for same song. How does that work?

Post by TheElement » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:39 am

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on the forums but I can't find the topic thread.

Just wondering how that works. So far I have 3 forwards for the same song. They are all non-exclusive but as I understand it the library would own 100% publishing.

So does that mean if a library owns 100% publishing that a song is locked in with that library and can not be used in another library at the same time? or published anywhere?

Much appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks! 8-)
Gavin
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 2 Deals for same song. How does that work?

Post by kclements » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:52 am

Hello Gavin -

If all three libraries are non-exclusive, they will re-title the tracks and register them under the new title. Depending on the library, they may add a code, or a number, or change the name completely. So you could end up with the same track with ASCAP/BMI called My Little Tune, and MD-My Little Tune, and My Small Tune.....

This gets into the very long discussion of exclusive vs non exclusive, of which you can find many threads here on Taxi, pro and con. I tend to treat each track as exclusive, regardless of how the library treats it. It makes it easier for me to keep track of. I know people will argue against this practice, and there are very successful Taxi members who do it each way. I guess it's up to you to decide how you want to move forward.

To answer your question, you can re-title the track as often as you want and place it in as many non-exclusive libraries as you wan't. But, if a library goes exclusive, or you have an opportunity to put that track in a high end exclusive library, you are out of luck.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:27 am

Great thanks Kayle. I would probably opt to work the song more and get it in as many libraries and TV shows as possible. Once thats ok with the library.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:01 am

Yup, if they're non-exclusive libraries, you can put 'em in as many as you're comfortable with. As long as each library has a different song title for the song to avoid confusion as to which publisher gets paid for the placement, you're good.

Some people, as Kayle mentioned, will only put songs in one single library, which essentially treats every song as an exclusive deal regardless of wether it's non-ex or not. Just depends on how YOU want to play it when that time comes around. But do know that non-exclusive libraries fully anticipate their composers to sign their songs to other catalogs, as it's just part of the business they're in.

Regardless, keep piling up the forwards for that tune. Some fish will take the bait, and then you'll be off to the races!

~~Matt

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:37 am

VanderBoegh wrote:Yup, if they're non-exclusive libraries, you can put 'em in as many as you're comfortable with. As long as each library has a different song title for the song to avoid confusion as to which publisher gets paid for the placement, you're good.

Some people, as Kayle mentioned, will only put songs in one single library, which essentially treats every song as an exclusive deal regardless of wether it's non-ex or not. Just depends on how YOU want to play it when that time comes around. But do know that non-exclusive libraries fully anticipate their composers to sign their songs to other catalogs, as it's just part of the business they're in.

Regardless, keep piling up the forwards for that tune. Some fish will take the bait, and then you'll be off to the races!

~~Matt

Thanks Matt. Much appreciate the insight. 8-)

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 am

Going along with this same topic, will getting a song placed first in a non-exclusive library hinder its chances of being picked up by an exclusive library down the road? I'm assuming so but just wanted a second opinion.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 am

Hey Commissary, if you've got a song signed to a non-exclusive library, then it's out of the running for exclusive deals. The only way you can sign things exclusively is if they are not signed anywhere else. So choose wisely!

~~Matt

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:03 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:Hey Commissary, if you've got a song signed to a non-exclusive library, then it's out of the running for exclusive deals. The only way you can sign things exclusively is if they are not signed anywhere else. So choose wisely!

~~Matt
Makes perfect sense. I just got a forward on a non-exclusive opportunity but there's a listing for an exclusive opportunity that looks better.

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Commissary wrote:. I just got a forward on a non-exclusive opportunity but there's a listing for an exclusive opportunity that looks better.
Yeah, that's a touchy road to roll on.

This thread discusses that... http://forums.taxi.com/topic128950.html

Regards
Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Russell Landwehr wrote:
Commissary wrote:. I just got a forward on a non-exclusive opportunity but there's a listing for an exclusive opportunity that looks better.
Yeah, that's a touchy road to roll on.

This thread discusses that... http://forums.taxi.com/topic128950.html

Regards
Russell
Thanks Russ.