wonder about this listing

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

wonder about this listing

Post by jonnybutter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:07 pm

...too late now, since the deadline has passed and I already submitted, but was just wondering if anyone else wondered:

U140813JE
SOPHISTICATED PIANO-BASED, SMALL JAZZ ENSEMBLE INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Hollywood Music Supervisor for a very successful TV Series! Give this Supervisor Down-to Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that you’d hear in the background of an elegant cocktail party, a fancy hotel lobby bar, or at a formal black-tie affair. Stick to the simple stuff for this pitch. If your Track is too busy, it might conflict with dialogue. He’s looking for a performance that sounds like a real small ensemble that would be heard at some place that’s probably too swanky for us to get in ;-). Please do not submit anything that sounds stiff, dated, or MIDI-driven. Again, please keep it simple, and don’t go too far outside or show them what a virtuoso you are. This is all about creating that martini and quiet conversation vibe for the scene. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. IMPORTANT NOTE: The Music Supervisor has asked that you have Instrumental versions of your song at the ready. If your song is selected for this show, an Instrumental version will be the first thing he’ll ask you for. We don’t want to see you miss an opportunity because you’re not prepared. Please only submit FULL VERSIONS of your Instrumental at this time. The license fee for this use is $500. This is a Direct-to-Music Supervisor pitch, so you'll keep 100% of your Master and Publishing rights, plus you'll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control 100% of the Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. All songs will be screened on a Yes/No basis. No full critiques. Please submit 1-3 Instrumentals no later than WEDNESDAY, August 13th, 2014 by 4pm (PDT). TAXI
So I thought that a line of boilerplate must have snuck in, but then it goes on and seems very deliberate ('we don't want you to miss an opportunity'). Anybody know what's up? The people I've talked to at taxi over the years have been uniformly nice and helpful, so I don't want to just bitch about a fairly small error - but I wonder if *I'm* missing something. It wouldn't be the first time.

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: wonder about this listing

Post by Russell Landwehr » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:59 am

jonnybutter wrote: IMPORTANT NOTE: The Music Supervisor has asked that you have Instrumental versions of your song at the ready. If your song is selected for this show, an Instrumental version will be the first thing he’ll ask you for. We don’t want to see you miss an opportunity because you’re not prepared. Please only submit FULL VERSIONS of your Instrumental at this time.
It looks like a typo... I wonder if they are wanting "Edited" versions available not "Instrumental" versions available.... ?? :geek:

That's what we get for having humans do things. ;)
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:45 pm

That's what we get for having humans do things. ;)
Without mistakes, where would we be (where would *music* be)?! Nowhere! Gotta take the good with the bad 8-)

I'm guessing the wrong text was just cmd/cntrl'd in. Crap happens, (esp. when it's me doing it :mrgreen: )

thanks Russ

niallyboy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by niallyboy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:44 am

Yeah, a bit of an incongruency there, which I ignored.......... A "boilerplate paste typo", ha!

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:36 am

Hey Niall,

Did you submit to this one? Just curious to hear it if you did. I submitted a song on my taxi page called 'Elegante'. Hope it's low key enough!

cu

Jon

EDIT: ok, this was a return for me, and it probably deserved it. A cautionary tale about using the 'edit' button on your music page. After submitting, I noticed some uneven levels between sections, so I did a fix mix and replaced file. But clearly I was too late, because the reason for the return was that very problem. Dang me

niallyboy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by niallyboy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 am

Yes, Jonny--

Both my tunes, found on my Taxi page, were returned for these reasons:

Tiny Deevee-- "This is a bit too active with hard-dynamics for what this listing is seeking."

Nobody Said (piano)-- "Drums are a bit bombastic."

Kayle Clements' tune was forward, however: https://soundcloud.com/clementunes/night-on-the-town

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:10 pm

I can see that even if the correct version of my song had been screened, it still would not have made it.

I'm not submitting any more Jazz. There are tons of other opportunities, and I am having better luck with them.

Nice job on your tunes, btw Niall.