songtrust?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: songtrust?

Post by kclements » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:06 am

Casey H wrote:I'd be very careful before getting involved with any of these companies. In some cases whereby they take over publishing admin, music libraries won't accept your tracks anymore because they don't want to do deals where 3rd party admin is involved.

There really isn't anything that isn't fairly simple and straightforward for you to do yourself unless you are handling a huge catalog of music. Sometimes it can all seem overwhelming but that's where forums like this, groups on Facebook, self-education, etc. can help.

:) Casey
I agree that this stuff is pretty easy to do and just takes time to learn to do it and time to actually do. And I think it's worth doing it yourself as you get better tagging audio as you learn what works better.

I was suggesting a service like Fancy Hands can take your tracks and assign metadata or organize them a certain way, upload them to a service and fill out the paperwork, spreadsheets, webs forms... or some of those kinds of tasks that you might want to hand off to someone else while you continue to write. They also can keep tracks of your placements and enter hose things into a spreadsheet... Not a service that will 'publish' the track for you for a fee or such.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 am

Casey H wrote:I'd be very careful before getting involved with any of these companies. In some cases whereby they take over publishing admin, music libraries won't accept your tracks anymore because they don't want to do deals where 3rd party admin is involved.

There really isn't anything that isn't fairly simple and straightforward for you to do yourself unless you are handling a huge catalog of music. Sometimes it can all seem overwhelming but that's where forums like this, groups on Facebook, self-education, etc. can help.

:) Casey
Gotcha, good stuff. Thank you.

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:31 am

thanks for the extended discussion thread. i am learning by listening.

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Thu May 07, 2015 6:54 am

How can one collect mechanical royalties without a publishing administrator like Tunecore or Songtrust?

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:51 am

In Canada we have the CMRRA
http://www.cmrra.ca
There has to be company like that in the US

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 pm

sansharbour wrote:In Canada we have the CMRRA
http://www.cmrra.ca
There has to be company like that in the US
The US has the Harry Fox Agency, but they only deal with publishing companies. So if you don't have one, I don't believe they will deal with you and collect mechanical royalties on your behalf.