What Killed The CD?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

What Killed The CD?

Post by shoodBworkin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:14 pm

Robust comments section follow this chart
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permali ... -killed-cd

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: What Killed The CD?

Post by mojobone » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:16 pm

My comment would be that the physical CD isn't dead; it's still a format we need to negotiate because among those who prefer to maintain a physical inventory of their 'owned' music (I'll admit it's a shrinking demographic) it's still about as popular as vinyl. Also, an actual physical product release still goes a long way toward legitimizing an act's artistry, at least as long as your product doesn't look like you burned it on the old Windows machine in your mom's basement.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Very interesting Topic to ponder about, dear Shood.

I read the Article and the Comments.

Personally I have CDs of my Music Compositions. Although my Music Compositions are very much at iTube, and at YouTube, and at SoundCloud.
The CDs are in my drawer, they feel safe there. One never knows ...
Also, how convenient to send a CD to my Family and to some Friends at Christmas, for instance. A wee bit more elegant than to send them a Link ! :)
And I design the cover of my CDs myself. I also designed CD covers for Hector.

Desert Dreams 1.png
Desert Dreams 1.png (245.65 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Desert Dreams 2.png
Desert Dreams 2.png (254.8 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
If you are so inclined to listen to this "Desert Dreams" CD, you can click on the "Humanity Healing" Link below. The Music starts automatically after a few seconds.

Hector used to listen to my Music in his Car, because I sent him CDs. Also when he was relaxing at his next door Swimming Pool !

Ok; so, so far, the CD is still very handy in these many ways.

But I admit that I never enter a Music Store to buy a CD.
I have much too much Music I can listen to on line. Yep ... :o :([/color]
Last edited by HectorRContreras on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Termites?

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 pm

As long as there is some form of tangible music I'm fine. I've had iPods mysteriously go blank and files corrupted too many times. I guess even a CD can scratch or deteriorate, but as a backup on a shelf I feel safer with that than a file.

What I miss most of all is the album. I've never been a fan of singles. The music industry likes a great song, I like a great band.

Michael

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:04 am

Hmm, the whole digital revolution is all about the convenience of gathering more and more information on smaller and smaller sizes of media, so I think size killed the CD. What used to be small and convenient is now big and bothersome. Personally, I don't care much about the media where the music is stored. I care about the music.

Objects do tend to carry a story trail with them, though. Like a CD, you got it in a physical location somewhere, talked to a person, took it home, stored it on a shelf, you took it and put it in a CD player, your car ect. There were some emotions and thoughts attached to those places, people and actions, which stores in your memory, so it becomes sentimental when you recall it.

Maybe that sentimentality is what we want sometimes, and maybe it adds value to the music as well.. it becomes "our" music that way. But it will be exciting to see how the new generations becomes attached to music, if they do..
Ceo of my own life

superflux
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by superflux » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:03 am

Even if I can't consciously perceive it all the time, (and as I age, I'm sure I don't), I still want an uncompressed copy of the material. Even if I do rip it into iTunes and listen with earbuds most of the time, I still want the option of putting the CD in my stereo and hearing it through my Klipsches.

Also, some folks are just more tactile; they like tangible media, be it books, records (or CDs), etc.

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shoodBworkin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:50 am

"2013 was the recorded music industry’s 14th successive year of revenue decline. The prolonged death rattle of the CD continues to drag the global market down with it and things just got worse with the paid download entering its own tailspin. Streaming and Subscriptions are the great hope and are growing at unprecedented rates. But the $9.99 products are not enough on their own, affordable mass market products are needed too. Even with them global music revenues will still decline slightly for the next five years. Without them revenues will shrink at pace and scale . . . "

http://www.midiaresearch.com/blog/view/ ... casts.html

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Hmmm, ... interesting.

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:57 am

Kolstad wrote: Objects do tend to carry a story trail with them, though. Like a CD, you got it in a physical location somewhere, talked to a person, took it home, stored it on a shelf, you took it and put it in a CD player, your car ect. There were some emotions and thoughts attached to those places, people and actions, which stores in your memory, so it becomes sentimental when you recall it.

Maybe that sentimentality is what we want sometimes, and maybe it adds value to the music as well.. it becomes "our" music that way. But it will be exciting to see how the new generations becomes attached to music, if they do..
Agree!, Vinyl had an even greater affect. You would buy it, sit down and listen to an album from beginning to end. CD's brought the era of easily skipping around from one song to another.