should i submit a demo w/ male vocals instead of female?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jimmymio
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

should i submit a demo w/ male vocals instead of female?

Post by jimmymio » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi. This is in regards to listing S140904SS - "soulful singer/songwriter SONGS ]with female vocals". I certainly wouldn't submit if they were looking for a master recording but since it's just a song I don't see why the gender of the singer should matter. I'm just afraid that a screener will summarily dismiss it.
Any advice?

ottlukk
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: should i submit a demo w/ male vocals instead of female?

Post by ottlukk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm

I've seen this question asked before, not only on this site, but others. You should never think of a song you present as "just a song". If you do, so will the listener, assuming they get past the first verse and chorus. Everyone else who submits to this listing will have a female vocalist in order to present their music in the best possible light. It's the professional thing to do. Anytime I have ever seen this question, the consensus answer is to go get a female vocalist and have her record it with you. Good luck! Ott

jimmymio
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: should i submit a demo w/ male vocals instead of female?

Post by jimmymio » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 pm

I feel strongly about the song itself. My concern is about it getting past the Taxi screener. You say to get a female to sing it would be the professional thing to do. But the fact is that I'd have to change the key, change the arrangement, then rerecord the track with a female vocalist. No way I'd have time to submit to this particular listing.